15172RE: Quiver Shivers

  • Nathaniel S. Prentice
    May 8, 2004
      Hiya. Thanks for the response to my email. I put a bunch of snippets
      together. The way to read this is the response I am referring to can be
      found underneath my response.

      ------------------------------

      Now this is a truly interesting idea. I wonder if this would be allowed in
      a tournament...

      my shoddy research in all provinces suggest that they carried three
      arrows in bow hand and perhaps no quiver at all! Interestingly, if
      you draw with arrows in hand you get a different 'sight picture',
      and can use the arrows as range points -- just a thought. My
      earliest suggestion of a quiver was a way for Charlamagne to
      guarantee that each soldier had a proper quota of arrows, not a
      shooting requirement.

      kinjal

      Actually, my character is late 1500's Scot. I would be afraid to hunt with
      a purely cloth quiver--what if I fell and the arrows went into my gut? I
      can see how using a sheepskin liner would work for the arrows on the
      outside, but what about the jostling between the ones on the inside?
      Ahhhhh the archer bag that I have read about. At times I wonder if quivers
      are period at all for a 1340 Scot. Matters not I love my hip quiver but I
      would like to make a bag like the one described.

      "LD.BLACKMOON" <LD.BLACKMOON@...> wrote:GREETINGS

      MY EARLIEST DOCUMENTATION SHOWS NO QUIVER AT ALL. JUST A CLOTH " SHEAF "
      TUCKED UNDER THE ARCHERS BELT BEHIND HIS BACK. THIS WAS DURING THE AGINCOURT
      ERA.
      FOR HUNTING , I HAVE FOUND THAT SHEEPSKIN IN THE BOTTOM AND AROUND THE TOP
      OF A LEATHER QUIVER DOES WONDERS FOR KEEPING THE ARROWS QUIET,
      BUT JUST CARRYING A FEW IN THE BELT WORKS BEST OF ALL .

      BE SAFE, BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN
      ARTHUR BLACKMOON

      I like the arrow bag that you found. It sounds like it fits the description
      of what some people on the Net have mentioned about the Mary Rose archers.
      Being a newbie who is just coming off of his training wheels (i.e. compound
      bow), what exactly is a "spacer"? I think I could probably make one of my
      own versions of that. Linen scares me, though, for reasons I already
      stated.

      Message: 5
      Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 18:36:33 +0000
      From: hawkwoode@...
      Subject: Re: Re: Quiver Shivers

      I have an arrow bag that I purchased from Historic Enterprises, along with a
      bow case. Visit the website at www.historicenterprises.com to see a picture
      of the bag. Click on the arms and armor listing to see the line of archery
      equipment, which includes self-nock arrows and bodkin points of various
      types.

      Elizabeth Hawkwood

      :(

      With a quiver, noise is always something to overcome.
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe - OP, Midrealm Forester
      "Take thou no scorn to wear the horn; It was a crest ere thou wast born"
      - As You Like It Act 4, Scene II

      Thanks for the input, guys. I was actually thinking that it would be OK to
      break a few rules--I'd be willing to bet the Scots didn't have many bows at
      all, or if they did, they were too prrrroud to use them, in any case.

      I like the idea of the linen quiver. I wonder if anyone out there might
      have a schematic...

      Alisdar Mac Giolle Chroiste

      Archer-in-training, Barony of Bhakail