15110Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Quiver Shivers

  • hawkwoode@att.net
    May 7, 2004
      I have an arrow bag that I purchased from Historic Enterprises, along with a bow case. Visit the website at www.historicenterprises.com to see a picture of the bag. Click on the arms and armor listing to see the line of archery equipment, which includes self-nock arrows and bodkin points of various types.

      Elizabeth Hawkwood

      --
      Nothing's Forgotten - Nothing is
      Ever Forgotten

      > Ohh that just hurts. I have seen Sir Rand the tracker keep 3 arrows in his bow
      > hand during the speed round and just don't know how he does it! Maybe my hands
      > are just too small.
      >
      > I have read about spacers that werer used by archers in the 100 years war. They
      > were used to keep the flechings from getting messed up but it should also keep
      > the arrows quit.
      >
      > Kinjal of Moravia <gusarimagic@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Any decent quivers out there that take care of this while
      > remaining in
      > > period? My persona is 16th century Scottish, so what would he
      > have used?
      > >
      > > Just curious.
      > >
      > > Alisdar Mac Giolle Chroiste

      > my shoddy research in all provinces suggest that they carried three
      > arrows in bow hand and perhaps no quiver at all! Interestingly, if
      > you draw with arrows in hand you get a different 'sight picture',
      > and can use the arrows as range points -- just a thought. My
      > earliest suggestion of a quiver was a way for Charlamagne to
      > guarantee that each soldier had a proper quota of arrows, not a
      > shooting requirement.
      >
      > kinjal

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > Yours in Service;
      >
      > Tighearn (Lord) Mac Con mac Conaill of Clan MacDonald
      > Quartermaster of the Barony of Dragonsspine
      > Forester Archer of the Kingdom of the Outlands
      >
      > When you shoot with a gun, one miss is just as vexatious as another. It is a
      > miss -- maybe an inch, maybe an ell, who knows? -- and you gain nothing from it.
      > Your bird is missed, that is all. But with the bow it is the reverse. Will's
      > miss was almost as pleasurable as a hit -- the bird had such a hair breath
      > escape the shot was so well sent..
      > -- Maurice Thompson

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic