14248Re: [SCA-Archery] Back quiver VS. Hip quiver- further study

  • Eadric Anstapa
    Jan 29, 2004
      Mac Con mac Conaill <mac_con_mac_conaill@...> said:

      > This is from a friend of mine so I take no credit in finding this
      but if it is true does it prove back quivers are period?
      > A painting of Elizabeth 1 as Diana by Cornelus Vroom(1566-1640).
      > The painting clear shows a back quiver worn by Elizabeth, this
      > painting hang in the Hatfeild House. Can be found in "The Grey Goose
      > Wing" this book can be found at your local library, page 143.
      > Page 41 of the same book shows a bowmen of Ramesses 3rd with an
      > elaborately decorated quiver, which is worn on the back. this was
      > taken from a coloured relief at Medinet Habu, xxth dynasty(1192-
      > 1160b.c.). and there are others I would just have to find them.

      I put portrtait of Elzabeth by Vroom and some other pics at

      I have some other pictures from books that I need to scan in and add
      to the page.

      While I'll agree that shoulder quivers do not seem to have been as
      widely used as other quivers in most European cultures in period, I
      think it is clear that those cultures knew about back quivers. I
      dont think it is unreasonable to assume that some of them would have
      at least tried back quivers.

      HL Eadric Anstapa
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic