14227Re: [SCA-Archery] Back quiver VS. Hip quiver- further study

  • RJ Bachner
    Jan 28, 2004
      On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 9:43:51 -0700, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

      >I have been watching the debate of whether or not the back quiver is period or
      >not, and if there was even ANY precedence for them.
      >
      >I started to research this issue myself because I am rather partial to the back
      >quiver. I came across the Ötzi, the Iceman and found out that he had a quiver
      >with some arrows in it. But all the information that I read did not tell me
      >whether or not it was a back or hip quiver.
      >
      >So, I emailed the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology in Italy with the question
      >of whether or not the Iceman carried a back or hip quiver, and the following is
      >the answer I got back from them:
      >
      >referring to your question about the Iceman we can tell that he surely had a
      >back quiver.
      >Below some information about it:
      >"The quiver is made of a rectangular, elongated hide bag that tapers slightly
      >towards the bottom. The piece of hide was held together lengthways and
      >supported by a 9.-cm-long hazel wood rod. This supporting strut had already
      >been broken into three sections during Ötzi's lifetime. The lid and the
      >carrying strap were missing. The elaborately decorated side pocket remains in
      >good condition however.
      >The quiver contained twelve rough arrow shafts and two finished arrows. The
      >unfinished shafts are between 84 and 87 cm long and made of the shoots of
      >viburnum sapwood. Their bark had been removed but not yet smoothed down and all
      >had notches cut into the ends.
      >Both finished arrows have flint arrowheads, fixed to the shaft with birch tar
      >and then bound with thread. These arrows are unique in that the shafts display
      >the remains of three-part radial fletching, attached with birch tar and bound
      >with thin nettle fibres. This fletching served to stabilize the arrow during
      >flight. One of the arrows had an extended shaft made of cornel wood inserted
      >into the top.
      >The quiver also held four tips of stag antlers tied together with strips of
      >bast. There was also a bent antler tip that the Iceman probably used for
      >skinning the animals he had hunted.
      >Besides two animal sinews, there was also a ball of tree bast string some two
      >metres long. The irregular and inelastic nature of this cord makes it unlikely
      >that it colud have served as a bowstring."
      >
      >From: "Ötzi, the Iceman - A full facts at a glance" Author: Angelika
      >Fleckinger, Folio-Editor

      Now traditional archery I believ it was did a 3 part story on his gear examining it closely and
      recreating it to exact dimensions and if I am not mistaken, as I have lent the issues out to a bud
      of mine, the quiver he carried was a side quiver, much like what many native american indians used.
      not a hip quiver or a back model but a long over the shoulder side quiver.

      Jay massey also reccomends this same style in his boyers bible article on quivers. personally I like
      this one better. period or not.

      Ragi
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic