14202Re: [SCA-Archery] Back quiver VS. Hip quiver- further study

  • Walter Davis
    Jan 27, 2004
      On page 106 of Robert Hardy's book, Longbow, is a picture of 4 Norman archers from the Bayeaux Tapestry. While three of the archers are clearly using hip quivers one appears to be using a back quiver. Check it out!Oudoceus--- On Tue 01/27, Carolus Eulenhorst < eulenhorst@... > wrote:From: Carolus Eulenhorst [mailto: eulenhorst@...]To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.comDate: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:59:36 -0800Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Back quiver VS. Hip quiver- further studyGreat! As the governing documents state no early cutoff we have nowestablished the back quiver as period and, by the rules we use,documentable and acceptable. Now, the question as to whether it wasculturally appropriate for any of our personas is another matter.CarolusOn Tue, 27 Jan 2004 9:43:51 -0700 writes:> I have been watching the debate of whether or not the back quiver is > period or > not, and if there was even ANY precedence for them.> > I started to research this issue myself because I am rather partial > to the back > quiver. I came across the �tzi, the Iceman and found out that he > had a quiver > with some arrows in it. But all the information that I read did not > tell me > whether or not it was a back or hip quiver.> > So, I emailed the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology in Italy with > the question > of whether or not the Iceman carried a back or hip quiver, and the > following is > the answer I got back from them:> > referring to your question about the Iceman we can tell that he > surely had a > back quiver.> Below some information about it:> "The quiver is made of a rectangular, elongated hide bag that tapers > slightly > towards the bottom. The piece of hide was held together lengthways > and > supported by a 9.-cm-long hazel wood rod. This supporting strut had > already > been broken into three sections during �tzi's lifetime. The lid and > the > carrying strap were missing. The elaborately decorated side pocket > remains in > good condition however.> The quiver contained twelve rough arrow shafts and two finished > arrows. The > unfinished shafts are between 84 and 87 cm long and made of the > shoots of > viburnum sapwood. Their bark had been removed but not yet smoothed > down and all > had notches cut into the ends.> Both finished arrows have flint arrowheads, fixed to the shaft with > birch tar > and then bound with thread. These arrows are unique in that the > shafts display > the remains of three-part radial fletching, attached with birch tar > and bound > with thin nettle fibres. This fletching served to stabilize the > arrow during > flight. One of the arrows had an extended shaft made of cornel wood > inserted > into the top.> The quiver also held four tips of stag antlers tied together with > strips of > bast. There was also a bent antler tip that the Iceman probably used > for > skinning the animals he had hunted.> Besides two animal sinews, there was also a ball of tree bast string > some two > metres long. The irregular and inelastic nature of this cord makes > it unlikely > that it colud have served as a bowstring."> > From: "�tzi, the Iceman - A full facts at a glance" Author: Angelika > > Fleckinger, Folio-Editor> > I hope that I could help you. Please don't hesitate to contact me > for any > further information.> > Kind wishes,> > Melitta Franceschini> South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology> www.iceman.it> > So, the back quiver is actually PRE-period and there is precendence > for back > quivers in the SCA. I hope that this puts fuel to the fire and > supports back > quiver usage. > > Sabra> > > > ---8<---------------------------------------------> Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart> Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/> > [Email to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com to leave this > list]