14180Back quiver VS. Hip quiver- further study

  • sayokom@adelphia.net
    Jan 27, 2004
      I have been watching the debate of whether or not the back quiver is period or
      not, and if there was even ANY precedence for them.

      I started to research this issue myself because I am rather partial to the back
      quiver. I came across the Ötzi, the Iceman and found out that he had a quiver
      with some arrows in it. But all the information that I read did not tell me
      whether or not it was a back or hip quiver.

      So, I emailed the South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology in Italy with the question
      of whether or not the Iceman carried a back or hip quiver, and the following is
      the answer I got back from them:

      referring to your question about the Iceman we can tell that he surely had a
      back quiver.
      Below some information about it:
      "The quiver is made of a rectangular, elongated hide bag that tapers slightly
      towards the bottom. The piece of hide was held together lengthways and
      supported by a 9.-cm-long hazel wood rod. This supporting strut had already
      been broken into three sections during Ötzi's lifetime. The lid and the
      carrying strap were missing. The elaborately decorated side pocket remains in
      good condition however.
      The quiver contained twelve rough arrow shafts and two finished arrows. The
      unfinished shafts are between 84 and 87 cm long and made of the shoots of
      viburnum sapwood. Their bark had been removed but not yet smoothed down and all
      had notches cut into the ends.
      Both finished arrows have flint arrowheads, fixed to the shaft with birch tar
      and then bound with thread. These arrows are unique in that the shafts display
      the remains of three-part radial fletching, attached with birch tar and bound
      with thin nettle fibres. This fletching served to stabilize the arrow during
      flight. One of the arrows had an extended shaft made of cornel wood inserted
      into the top.
      The quiver also held four tips of stag antlers tied together with strips of
      bast. There was also a bent antler tip that the Iceman probably used for
      skinning the animals he had hunted.
      Besides two animal sinews, there was also a ball of tree bast string some two
      metres long. The irregular and inelastic nature of this cord makes it unlikely
      that it colud have served as a bowstring."

      From: "Ötzi, the Iceman - A full facts at a glance" Author: Angelika
      Fleckinger, Folio-Editor

      I hope that I could help you. Please don't hesitate to contact me for any
      further information.

      Kind wishes,

      Melitta Franceschini
      South Tyrol Museum of Archaeology
      www.iceman.it

      So, the back quiver is actually PRE-period and there is precendence for back
      quivers in the SCA. I hope that this puts fuel to the fire and supports back
      quiver usage.

      Sabra
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic