13874Winter Challenge

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Nov 12, 2003
      MIDREALM WINTER ARCHERY SHOOT

      Yes folks, it's that time again... The Midrealm Archer-General is
      once more sponsoring the Winter Challenge. Midrealm shooters may regard
      this competition as one method by which I will be evaluating potential
      members of the Champions team. That's a hint... For archers outside the
      Midrealm (shrug), it's the same shoot as last year, and what office I
      hold is of no significance to you. Hopefully, you will get the same
      enjoyment out of the Challenge as you have in the past. As always,
      comments and suggestions are welcome anytime.
      A note concerning use of the Challenge for competitions: last year
      a competition was held in a kingdom not the Midrealm, which used the
      Challenge in an official capacity. I strongly encourage this, and hope
      to see more of it, but I need to clarify some matters. I was approached
      by an official of that kingdom and asked not to enter any more scores
      from that area after a certain date. I cannot do that as such, since
      the basic postal shoot is open to all, at any time, for sheer
      enjoyment. Nevertheless, as I am sympathetic to the idea of the shoot
      as an official competition, here's what I would like to do... Any
      Kingdom that wishes to use the Winter Challenge as a prize- or award-
      bearing competition during a limited timeframe, should tell me what
      they are doing. I will then make an additional table in the Scores page
      for that competition specifically, and time-stamp entries. Any entries
      from such a Kingdom that fall outside the timeframe, or are
      specifically noted as not wishing to participate in the contest, will
      appear in their normal tables. Entries for such a contest will also
      appear in the first table - Overall Results. Hopefully, that will take
      care of any issues in this regard. And so, on to the rules...

      All archers of the Known World are invited to participate in a
      winter archery competition from November 1, 2003 through April 15,
      2004. The shoot is the same as previous years using the basic
      commercial target of any 5 ring 40 cm (16 inches) face. All rounds are
      shot at 20 yards. Each round will consist of two (2) ends. Equipment
      standards are as per SCA legal for your kingdom. There is no
      traditional equipment bonus or requirement. Participating archers
      should include with the scores sent, this info: SCA name, MKA, their
      SCA group, (and Kingdom, if outside the Midrealm), the type of bow
      (crossbow, longbow, recurve or other), the bow's draw weight, and
      whether or not any sight marks on limbs or crossbow rear sights were
      used. PLEASE NOTE THAT LAST COMMENT! Last year many entries were not
      listed as being sighted or non-sighted. The scoring breakdown this year
      is going to take into account whether a weapon used sights or not: IF
      NO INFORMATION IS GIVEN, I WILL ASSUME THE WEAPON IN QUESTION HAD
      SIGHTS!

      The marshal in charge is...

      Note! New Address!

      Bruce R. Gordon (Forester Nigel FitzMaurice)
      511 East Exchange St., Apt. 3, Akron, Ohio 44304-1866

      Note! New Address!

      ...and if you like, a copy to obsidian@... quick posting on the
      results page.

      The Shoot:

      As it was last year, the shoot is eight ends at 20 yards, and may
      take place at any event, practice, or get-together where a warranted
      SCA archery marshal (or your Kingdom's equivalent) is present to score
      it.

      Target Round - intended to help maintain accuracy over the winter
      months. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed at a 40 cm (16
      inch) 5 ring target with standard 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 scoring.

      Speed Round - intended to help archers practice speed shooting with
      accuracy. It consists of 2 ends of unlimited arrows shot in a 30 second
      time limit for each end. Each archer must shoot at least one arrow each
      end but may shoot as many as possible in 30 seconds. Scoring of the 40
      cm 5 ring target is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Archers who do not manage to shoot
      off 6 arrows in 30 seconds will gain bonus points for arrows unshot. To
      determine the number of bonus points, subtract the number of arrows
      shot from 6 for each end and add that number to the actual score of the
      arrows that hit the target. IE: you shoot 4 arrows, you get 2 bonus
      points. If the archer has not managed to hit the target at least once
      in the entire round of two ends, then no bonus points are added. When
      scoring, please show real score + bonus points, IE: 12+2

      Wand Round - intended to help the archer concentrate on minimizing
      left/right movement. It consists of 2 ends of 6
      arrows untimed. Each end is shot at a target wand 3 feet long by 6
      inches wide, consisting of a central strip of one color flanked
      on either side by strips of a differing tint (hint:a standard strip of
      duct tape is 2 inches wide); each band equal in width (2
      inches). Each arrow within or touching the central strip scores five
      points. Each arrow outside the central area but within or
      touching either of the two outer bands scores three points.

      Bull's Eye Round - intended to help the archer focus on the center of a
      target. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed. Each end is
      shot at a target consisting of a 4 inch circular bull's eye centered
      within a 8 1/2 inch outer circle,(standard piece of paper). All arrows
      within or touching the inner circle score five points each. All arrows
      outside the center bull's eye but within or touching the outer circle
      score three points each.

      It is strongly suggested that a target that will prevent pass-throughs
      and bounce-offs should be used. However, should these occur, witnessed
      pass-throughs and bounce-offs that cannot be determined as to score are
      traditionally scored as 3 points, in the target and speed rounds.
      Please tell us how you like the shoot, if there are changes you
      could suggest or if you have ical and/or reasonable alternatives. The
      latter two rounds are period in type of shoot although not in
      materials. All scores due by May 15, 2004.

      --
      Ex Tenebra, Lux