13858Old Bow Tips was Re: Newbie info needed (Akron, OH)

  • jameswolfden
    Nov 2, 2003
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus Eulenhorst
      <eulenhorst@j...> wrote:
      > Second, Don't try pulling an old
      > wood longbow without oiling and cleaning it first and then
      gradually warm
      > it up with gradual slow pulls to short draws first. Draw to the
      > where you just feel resistance, let down then draw an inch or
      > further, let down, and repeat until you reach your full draw. Do
      > slowly and listen and feel for any cracking or signs of failure.
      Be sure
      > to wear safety goggles rated for racquetball or similar impact
      sport use
      > and a heavy, long sleeved shirt, long pants, and closed toe
      shoes. An
      > exploding bow can really hurt. The best place to check a bow's
      pull is
      > with your local marshal or pro shop.
      > Carolus

      Good advice and I will add the following tips from the Bowyer's

      Check the bow out carefully. If you are in SCA, a marshall can
      check out your bow. You are looking for cracks or other signs of
      damage. Careful, though, a lot of lemonwood bows can look fine
      and still blow up at first draw.

      Next, string the bow to a low brace height 5" to 6" and just let it sit
      for six to eight hours. Do this for 4 to 5 days before even
      attempting to pull it. Finally do some partial pulls to warm up the
      bow and then follow Carolus advice.

      And, if you have never strung it yet, the bow can blow up on
      stringing it if it has severely dried out. So be careful right from
      the get go.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic