13530Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 1402

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    Aug 31 10:03 PM
      This
      is correct if you feathers are 4" log or longer or if you use 5 degree
      or greater offset on either side of the shaft centerline. I use 2 3/4"
      fletching with 2.5 degree offset each side of the centerline (5 degree
      total). This gives me the balance and spin I want without adding excess
      drag. I find few archers beginning fletching to be using arrows which
      require that much correction and are looking for a low drag design. They
      also tend to experiment a lot with angles of attachment and direction of
      spin. Left or right spin require left or right helical clamps
      respectively. Which is why I recommend a straight clamp to start and the
      ability to add helicals.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:33:43 -0400 "Frederick Fenters"
      <padraig@...> writes:

      snip
      > Bitzenberger is the top of the line. I disagree about using the
      > straight clamp, though. Helical clamps give a truer curve to the
      > feather and thus work better in the long run (IMHO)
      > snip
      > Padraig MacRaighne

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!