13313Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Period Crossbow Tips

  • badger5149@aol.com
    Jul 30, 2003
      In a message dated 7/30/2003 7:26:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      cunning@... writes:

      > What is the lenth of the prod? What is the design? ie flat bow, "D"
      > section
      > etc. What are you going to use the bow for? Even in period hunting bows
      > were a lower poundage pull than war crossbows.

      Prod length was 32", design was between a "d" section and flat bow. Was going
      to use it for an indoor target shooter at less than 25 yards. Ipe is a very
      hard brazilian hardwood, has several names including ironwood. The brazilian
      cherry I am going to try next is also known as locust, has a higher flexural
      modulas rating and may work. I would like to do a composite but have never tried
      that except with fiberglass and other modern materials. Would a 12" draw
      length put the arrow speed in the category of a 50 or 60# long bow? badger