13310Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Period Crossbow Tips

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Jul 30, 2003
      If the back is starting to pull up have you tried backing with rawhide? You
      may be able to save the prod. What is ipe? 300# at 12" and 150# at 3" is
      no problem if the prod is 4 feet long. but a more normal 28-30 inches the
      prod should be of steel or composite. Composite should work as long as the
      total draw is 8-10 inches from a 3-4 inch brace height, but again how long
      is the prod? Stacked leaf will work but is less efficient any padding makes
      it even less efficient...because as the total mass of the prod increases
      more of the total energy stored in the prod is required to get it (and the
      bolt) up to speed .

      What is the lenth of the prod? What is the design? ie flat bow, "D" section
      etc. What are you going to use the bow for? Even in period hunting bows
      were a lower poundage pull than war crossbows.

      James Cunningham