12555Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: First Results from Mary Rose war arrow re-creation

  • James McArthur
    May 10, 2003
      You're probably thinking of Manteo and Wanchese, from the 1580's settlement at Roanoke, Carolus. Jamestown was just out of SCA period (1607.

      William MacArthur

      --- Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
      >Actually, the governing documents state "Pre- 17th Century Western
      >Culture". Japanese, Middle Eastern, and the like are allowed by
      >convention because of their influence on the west. There even was an
      >enclave of Japanese including Samurai and a princess living in their own
      >compound at the Vatican for a couple of years in period. We have had a
      >couple of Aztec personas (one at the First Tournament). The Toltec
      >predated contact and the contact with the Arapahoe post dated 17th
      >Century. Otherwise nothing would prevent them at all. The English
      >settlers at Jamestown bought a representative of the Virginia tribes to
      >London for a season so they would be possible as well.
      >
      >In service to the dream
      >Carolus von Eulenhorst
      >eulenhorst@...
      >
      >On Thu, 08 May 2003 06:01:05 -0000 "Kinjal of Moravia"
      ><gusarimagic@...> writes:
      >> --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus Eulenhorst
      >> Of course the silk shirts worn as primary armor would prevent this,
      >>
      >> at least for smart Mongols and Scots who imported them. Thanks much
      >>
      >> for all the contributions on this subject, though it seems strange
      >> that an Amerind device would not have been replicated in Europe.
      >> Period of course, 12th and 13th centuries -- just a little distance
      >>
      >> away. However, I believe they were used for fishing and hunting,
      >> nor for wars. By the way, who decided that SCA meant "Europe"? If
      >>
      >> Japanese is let in, why not Toltec or Arapahoe?

      >The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand!
      >Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

      No Quarter Given's
      PYRACY PUB
      http://www.pyracy.com