12520Re: First Results from Mary Rose war arrow re-creation

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    May 7, 2003
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus Eulenhorst
      Of course the silk shirts worn as primary armor would prevent this,
      at least for smart Mongols and Scots who imported them. Thanks much
      for all the contributions on this subject, though it seems strange
      that an Amerind device would not have been replicated in Europe.
      Period of course, 12th and 13th centuries -- just a little distance
      away. However, I believe they were used for fishing and hunting,
      nor for wars. By the way, who decided that SCA meant "Europe"? If
      Japanese is let in, why not Toltec or Arapahoe?

      <eulenhorst@j...> wrote:
      > A well made socket with a matched shaft could easily hod with a
      thin
      > layer of beeswax used as an adhesive. The lack of air space will
      make
      > for a tight fit. A shaft which does not firmly embed itseldf could
      > easily be shot back. However, a point left in a wound would cause
      the
      > victim great pain and could conceivably take someone out of the
      action
      > with an otherwise non-fatal wound.
      >
      > In service to the dream
      > Carolus von Eulenhorst
      > eulenhorst@j...
      >
      > On Thu, 08 May 2003 00:41:03 -0400 Carl West <eisen@a...> writes:
      > > jameswolfden wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
      > > <Lu-shan@f...>

      > > > It was used in England and is referred to as footed shafts.
      > >
      > > Footed shafts are generally (I'm unaware of an exception to
      this) a
      > > glued arrangement. Functionally it's all one piece. Sun was
      asking
      > > about arrows with swappable heads or fore-shafts. Rather
      different
      > > from 'footed' I think.
      > >
      > > > ...However,
      > > > I do not believe that we have any evidence that it was done in
      > > the
      > > > period covered by the SCA.
      > >
      > > Roger Ascham (1515-1568) writes of 'pieced arrows' which is
      > > interpreted by many as meaning what we call 'footed' today.
      > >

      > > > ...I have heard much speculation that bodkin points
      > > > were held in place with little more than bee's wax so that
      when
      > > the
      > > > arrow was withdrawn the bodkin would stay behind.
      > >
      > > Hmmm... not being firmly fixed to the shaft, the head would lose
      > > some of the sharpness of impact it might otherwise get from the
      > > weight of the shaft. With a shaft of ash or oak, that's not
      > > inconsiderable. At the same time it _would_ cut down on how many
      of
      > > them got shot back at you. I don't believe that leaving the head
      in
      > > a wound would have been the major consideration if indeed they
      were
      > > shooting them loose-headed.
      > >
      > > Apparently one of the things that slowed the battle at Hastings
      was
      > > that Harold had few archers with him and therefor few arrows got
      > > shot back down the hill. After a while. William's archers ran
      out
      > > and had to go all the way back to the baggage train for more.
      They