12519Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: First Results from Mary Rose war arrow re-creation

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    May 7, 2003
      Greetings,
      Yes, bodkin points were afixed to the shaft with heated resin
      such as pine pitch. This is very similar in feel to what is sold today
      as ferrule-tite. There is some residual residue that's been found on the
      heads of period arrows.
      I use and love footed shafts. I've even made a few of them. They
      ARE good for putting more weight towards the front of the arrow and they
      make hunting arrows hit and penetrate even better. I hesitate to use
      them in SCA shooting because of the mass of arrows we shoot, it's
      heartbreaking enough to see my plain shafts get shattered.
      I am not personally aware of any "take down" arrows that existed
      in medieval Europe and I couldn't find anything about such a thing after
      a quick search through my books. I'd be interested to see anything about
      it if anyone finds such a thing. I know that it certainly did exist in
      Native American cultures.
      -Geoffrei