12518Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: First Results from Mary Rose war arrow re-creation

  • Carolus Eulenhorst
    May 7, 2003
      A well made socket with a matched shaft could easily hod with a thin
      layer of beeswax used as an adhesive. The lack of air space will make
      for a tight fit. A shaft which does not firmly embed itseldf could
      easily be shot back. However, a point left in a wound would cause the
      victim great pain and could conceivably take someone out of the action
      with an otherwise non-fatal wound.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Thu, 08 May 2003 00:41:03 -0400 Carl West <eisen@...> writes:
      > jameswolfden wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
      > > <gusarimagic@r...> wrote:
      > > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Sun Lu-shan"
      > <Lu-shan@f...>
      > > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > ...Does anyone have information on segmented
      > > > arrows?
      > > It was used in England and is referred to as footed shafts.
      >
      > Footed shafts are generally (I'm unaware of an exception to this) a
      > glued arrangement. Functionally it's all one piece. Sun was asking
      > about arrows with swappable heads or fore-shafts. Rather different
      > from 'footed' I think.
      >
      > > ...However,
      > > I do not believe that we have any evidence that it was done in
      > the
      > > period covered by the SCA.
      >
      > Roger Ascham (1515-1568) writes of 'pieced arrows' which is
      > interpreted by many as meaning what we call 'footed' today.
      >

      > > ...I have heard much speculation that bodkin points
      > > were held in place with little more than bee's wax so that when
      > the
      > > arrow was withdrawn the bodkin would stay behind.
      >
      > Hmmm... not being firmly fixed to the shaft, the head would lose
      > some of the sharpness of impact it might otherwise get from the
      > weight of the shaft. With a shaft of ash or oak, that's not
      > inconsiderable. At the same time it _would_ cut down on how many of
      > them got shot back at you. I don't believe that leaving the head in
      > a wound would have been the major consideration if indeed they were
      > shooting them loose-headed.
      >
      > Apparently one of the things that slowed the battle at Hastings was
      > that Harold had few archers with him and therefor few arrows got
      > shot back down the hill. After a while. William's archers ran out
      > and had to go all the way back to the baggage train for more. They
      > had been expecting to glean return shots to stay armed. This story
      > suggests to me that at least in 1066 war arrows had solidly affixed
      > heads.
      >
      > - Fritz
      > --
      > Carl West eisen@... http://eisen.home.attbi.com