12517Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: First Results from Mary Rose war arrow re-creation

  • Carl West
    May 7, 2003
      jameswolfden wrote:

      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
      > <gusarimagic@r...> wrote:
      > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Sun Lu-shan" <Lu-shan@f...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > ...Does anyone have information on segmented
      > > arrows?
      > It was used in England and is referred to as footed shafts.

      Footed shafts are generally (I'm unaware of an exception to this) a glued arrangement. Functionally it's all one piece. Sun was asking about arrows with swappable heads or fore-shafts. Rather different from 'footed' I think.

      > ...However,
      > I do not believe that we have any evidence that it was done in the
      > period covered by the SCA.

      Roger Ascham (1515-1568) writes of 'pieced arrows' which is interpreted by many as meaning what we call 'footed' today.

      > ...I have heard much speculation that bodkin points
      > were held in place with little more than bee's wax so that when the
      > arrow was withdrawn the bodkin would stay behind.

      Hmmm... not being firmly fixed to the shaft, the head would lose some of the sharpness of impact it might otherwise get from the weight of the shaft. With a shaft of ash or oak, that's not inconsiderable. At the same time it _would_ cut down on how many of them got shot back at you. I don't believe that leaving the head in a wound would have been the major consideration if indeed they were shooting them loose-headed.

      Apparently one of the things that slowed the battle at Hastings was that Harold had few archers with him and therefor few arrows got shot back down the hill. After a while. William's archers ran out and had to go all the way back to the baggage train for more. They had been expecting to glean return shots to stay armed. This story suggests to me that at least in 1066 war arrows had solidly affixed heads.

      - Fritz
      --
      Carl West eisen@... http://eisen.home.attbi.com

      I have no superfluous leisure; my stay must be stolen out
      of other affairs; but I will attend you awhile.
      - Isabella, Measure for Measure, Act 3 Scene 1
      -
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic