12516Re: First Results from Mary Rose war arrow re-creation

  • Guy Taylor
    May 7, 2003
      > It was used in England and is referred to as footed shafts.
      > I do not believe that we have any evidence that it was done in the
      > period covered by the SCA. I understand that it was popular during
      > the Victorian era on a mainly aesthetic basis.

      Footed arrows have better FOC (front of center) due to the more dense
      wood that is used in the footing than that which typically makes up
      the shaft. This stronger and denser wood also makes the arrow
      stronger where it is weakest, right behind the tip.
      These days some people find a footed arrow advantagous because their
      draw is too long for the length of the mass produced shaft; footing
      will add a few inches to the length.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic