12513Re: First Results from Mary Rose war arrow re-creation

  • jameswolfden
    May 7 4:47 PM
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kinjal of Moravia"
      <gusarimagic@r...> wrote:
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Sun Lu-shan" <Lu-shan@f...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > Your comments have prompted a question that I queried before, but
      > perhaps on another site. Does anyone have information on segmented
      > arrows? Amerinds used them, often carrying only 4-5 shafts and
      many
      > replacable end shafts with various heads. It would seem strange
      that
      > European or Asian influence did not discover this practical
      > approach, though I did find one reference in which an arrow was
      > taken from a prey and reused. Would 'chested' arrows have some
      > meaning here?
      >
      > Kinjal

      It was used in England and is referred to as footed shafts. However,
      I do not believe that we have any evidence that it was done in the
      period covered by the SCA. I understand that it was popular during
      the Victorian era on a mainly aesthetic basis.

      For English Archers during the 100 Year War, arrows would be mass
      manufactured. It is interesting to note that points usable in both
      war and hunting (like a type 16) are usually pinned whereas points
      used only in war (like a bodkin) were only socketed. Speculation:
      Hunting arrows can be retrieved with prey. War arrows need only to be
      one time delivery. I have heard much speculation that bodkin points
      were held in place with little more than bee's wax so that when the
      arrow was withdrawn the bodkin would stay behind.

      James Wolfden
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic