12511Re: First Results from Mary Rose war arrow re-creation

  • Sun Lu-shan
    May 7, 2003
      You know, I also thought it was strange when I read that they were
      straight tapered from the pile, thinking that they were more likely
      barreled or chested shafts. Your question prompted me to look around
      some more, and unfortunately the official Mary Rose site makes no
      mention of it, but others who have viewed the arrows called them
      chested, and described the specific double taper starting about 1/3
      down the shaft.

      Probably they were chested, then, which would not reduce the spine
      over a straight shaft. I wonder if this account I read contained a
      mistake. Clearly though, most ofthe arrows were tapered in some
      fashion.

      http://www.labelle.org/ArGear_Arrow.html

      Does anyone have access to good photos or measurements of Mary Rose
      arrows?

      Lu-shan

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
      <cunning@f...> wrote:
      > Question? are they tappered from end to end or chested arrows with
      the 1/2"
      > 36% down the shaft?
      >
      > James Cunningham
      > > Hi Michael,
      > >
      > > Are you going to try tapering some of the shafts? Most of the
      Mary
      > > Rose shafts tapered from 1/2" to 3/8", which would probably give
      them
      > > less spine. Perhaps the straight shafts were for the burly bows
      and
      > > the tapered were for the "normal" 100 pounders?
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Sun Lu-shan
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic