12489Re: [SCA-Archery] First Results from Mary Rose war arrow re-creation

  • Ian Griffen
    May 4, 2003
      It sounds like you are on the right track. Keep up the hard work Ian Griffen

      Mike O'Toole <mike.otoole@...> wrote:Hi all,

      Just wanted to update you on my first couple of arrows Mary Rose war
      arrows I am re-creating.

      I used poplar (species unknown instead of the black poplar found on the
      MR) from the lumber store and cut it with the band saw into
      1/2"x1/2"x32" pieces. I then used a small hand plane and shoot block to
      round the shafts until they were 1/2" in diameter, then burnished with a
      piece of brass rod.

      I had them on the spine tester the other night at archery practice and
      they came out at 149 and 162 lb spine. Which is not too far from the
      upper end of speculation for the war bow poundage.

      Michael O'Byrne

      sorry for the mass posting to the archery mail lists but I can't find
      the address of the people who asked for updates. :-(

      "He who works with his hands is a laborer.
      He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
      He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist."

      St. Francis of Assissi

      Do you Yahoo!?