11716Re: [SCA-Archery] Scotsman's Bow

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Dec 31, 2002
      To Padraig, I understand what you say about period "style"
      equipment in mundane tournaments, but I personally don't agree with your
      I shoot many mundane tournaments and the only equipment that I use
      would qualify for IKAC period division. This is the only type of archery
      that I enjoy. I realize that I am using simpler equipment than other
      competitors, but this is the type of tackle that I enjoy shooting. I
      have tried the others and it just doesn't feel the same to me (personal
      choice). I do like to win, and I've been fortunate enough to win my
      share of trophies. But it's not about the winning...it's about the
      shooting, and the feel of it. So that's why.
      It also has nothing to do with expense. All of my bows are custom
      bows that were made to my specs. 4 of my bows are wood and fiberglass
      laminated longbows with no cutout or shelf and an unnoticable riser. My
      lightest bow draws at 70#@28". My other 4 bows are horn nocked
      D-sectioned longbows with no cutout or shelf and one of them (my
      favorite) draws at 93-94#@28". I have a lot invested in my bows.
      Here in the Northeast US, most of the tournaments have a
      traditional division, and that's what I shoot in with my shooting
      buddies, some scadians, some not. Most of them are also shooting custom
      bows, usually recurves, but some shoot longbows. In the end it's all
      pretty much the same. Whatever you're comfortable with.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic