10920Midrealm Winter Challenge

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Oct 30, 2002
      The Middle Kingdom Winter Challenge, Anno Societas XXXVII

      Yes folks, it's that time again... As a preliminary note, let me
      mention that since last season, I have ceased to be the Oaken (Ohio-
      Kentucky) Regional, in lieu of which I have been made Archer-General of
      the Midrealm. I don't anticipate that holding that position will
      prevent me from keeping up with the scores, but it does mean that this
      shoot becomes a bit more official and high-profile than before.
      Midrealm shooters may therefore regard this competition as one method
      by which I will be evaluating potential members of the Champions team.
      That's a hint... For archers outside the Midrealm (shrug), it's the
      same shoot as last year, and what office I hold is of no significance
      to you. Hopefully, you will get the same enjoyment out of the Challenge
      as you have in the past. As always, comments and suggestions are
      welcome anytime. And so, on to the rules...

      All archers of the Known World are invited to participate in a winter
      archery competition from November 1, 2002 through April 30, 2003. The
      shoot is the same as previous years using the basic commercial target
      of any 5 ring 40 cm (16 inches) face. All rounds are shot at 20 yards.
      Each round will consist of two (2) ends. Equipment standards are as per
      SCA legal for your kingdom. There is no traditional equipment bonus or
      requirement. Participating archers should include with the scores sent,
      this info: SCA name, MKA, their SCA group, (and Kingdom, if outside the
      Midrealm), the type of bow (crossbow, longbow, recurve or other), the
      bow's draw weight, and whether or not any sight marks on limbs or
      crossbow rear sights were used. Please note that last comment! Last
      year many entries were not listed as being sighted or non-sighted. The
      scoring breakdown this year is going to take into account whether a
      weapon used sights or not: if no informationis given, I will assume the
      weapon in question had sights!

      The marshal in charge is Bruce R. Gordon (Forester Nigel FitzMaurice),
      866 Beardsley, Apt. 1, Akron, Ohio 44311; and if you like...a copy to
      obsidian@... for quick posting on the results page. Results will
      be posted at: http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html

      The Shoot:

      As it was last year, the shoot is eight ends at 20 yards, and may take
      place at any event, practice, or get-together where a warranted SCA
      archery marshal (or your Kingdom's equivalent) is present to score it.

      Target Round - intended to help maintain accuracy over the winter
      months. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed at a 40 cm (16
      inch) 5 ring target with standard 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 scoring.

      Speed Round - intended to help archers practice speed shooting with
      accuracy. It consists of 2 ends of unlimited arrows shot in a 30 second
      time limit for each end. Each archer must shoot at least one arrow each
      end but may shoot as many as possible in 30 seconds. Scoring of the 40
      cm 5 ring target is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Archers who do not manage to shoot
      off 6 arrows in 30 seconds will gain bonus points for arrows unshot. To
      determine the number of bonus points, subtract the number of arrows
      shot from 6 for each end and add that number to the actual score of the
      arrows that hit the target. IE: you shoot 4 arrows, you get 2 bonus
      points. If the archer has not managed to hit the target at least once
      in the entire round of two ends, then no bonus points are added. When
      scoring, please show real score + bonus points, IE: 12+2

      Wand Round - intended to help the archer concentrate on minimizing
      left/right movement. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows untimed. Each
      end is shot at a target wand 3 feet long by 6 inches wide, consisting
      of a central strip of one color flanked on either side by strips of a
      differing tint (hint:a standard strip of duct tape is 2 inches wide);
      each band equal in width (2 inches). Each arrow within or touching the
      central strip scores five points. Each arrow outside the central area
      but within or touching either of the two outer bands scores three
      points.

      Bull's Eye Round - intended to help the archer focus on the center of a
      target. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed. Each end is
      shot at a target consisting of a 4 inch circular bull's eye centered
      within a 8 1/2 inch outer circle,(standard piece of paper). All arrows
      within or touching the inner circle score five points each. All arrows
      outside the center bull's eye but within or touching the outer circle
      score three points each.

      --
      Ex Tenebra, Lux