Native Americans honored at La Colina, nationally in November

  • C
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      http://www.thesbnn.com/?p=17494

      Native Americans honored at La Colina, nationally in November
      SANTA BARBARA – 12:58 pm – The numerous strides and contributions made by Native Americans are being recognized this month, nationally and here in Santa Barbara.

      Representatives of the American Indian Movement-Santa Barbara and Just Communities, presented La Colina Junior High School students with a framed poster, Thursday, November 18, highlighting accomplishments of Native Americans.

      In accepting the poster eighth grade student Starr GreenSky said, "Fifty years ago, La Colina Junior High School began it's reign in Santa Barbara. But unlike this wonderful institution of learning of today, racism was already in action. Kids were already lying about their ethnicity, if it wasn't already obvious. Judgments had already been made, faces were already discriminating. Now, five decades later, we have the opportunity to not only recognize, but honor the Native people of this land and the sacrifices these Sovereign Nations have faced.
      In 1869 African Americans were given the right to vote.
      In 1917 a band of Red Lake Chippewas were denied the ability to vote.
      In 1920 Native Americans in North Dakota were give the right to vote if they abandoned their tribe.
      In 1920 women were given the right to vote.
      In 1924, during the Indian Citizenship Act, Native Americans were declared the ability to vote but this was not finalized until 1948.
      Besides all of these setbacks, we are still here, in the present and in the future; honoring important Native people in this community on a day in Native America Heritage Month-another Nation's Heritage Month.
      I feel proud to say that our community is represented in the poster."

      Schools throughout the district will get a poster.

      The purpose of Native American Heritage Month, according to national spokesmen, is to increase awareness and understanding of the diversity that lies within the Native American heritage and culture.

      Native American Heritage Day is observed Nov. 26.