Now Available! 2007 CCSS White Paper #2

  • CCSS President Brett Wagner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
      Dear Friend,

      As always, I'm very proud of the incredible work our
      intern scholars are doing here at the California Center of
      Strategic Studies.

      Bradley Alexander, a student at Claremont Graduate
      University and one of our brightest young stars, has just
      completed his second in a series of CCSS White Papers on
      international LGBT human rights and how U.S. policy
      can help make a big difference.

      The overview from his latest paper appears below, and
      the complete version can be explored on our web site at:

      http://thecaliforniacenter.org/documents/alexander-identification_and_enforcement.pdf

      The broader work of our International Dignity &
      Diversity Project can also be found at:

      http://thecaliforniacenter.org/dignity_and_diversity.php

      As you may remember, my good friend Congressman Barney
      Frank is a strong supporter of this project, calling it
      "An important effort to give prominence to international
      GLBT rights in the formulation of American foreign
      policy."

      Yours sincerely,
      Brett Wagner

      President,
      California Center for Strategic Studies

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      The California Center for Strategic Studies
      is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) tax exempt educational institute
      as recognized by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service,
      and is incorporated in the State of California.

      Tax deductible contributions are encouraged:
      http://thecaliforniacenter.org/contribute.php

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      "Identification and Enforcement of LGBT Human Rights:
      UN and U.S. Roles"

      by Brad Alexander
      California Center for Strategic Studies

      Overview

      The question of who should be responsible for enforcing
      lesbian, gay, bisexual, and trans-gendered (LGBT) rights
      has been, at best, a difficult one to resolve. Any
      organization or state which undertakes this task must be
      both globally recognized and globally influential. This
      paper examines two potential venues for this action, the
      United Nations and the United States.

      Theoretically, the United Nations should fill this role.
      The organization was founded specifically to protect human
      rights. However, while the United Nations has been
      instrumental in establishing the theoretical framework for
      international human rights, it has shown itself incapable
      to move from theory to practice and effectively enforce
      the standards it has set. There are two reasons for this
      ineptitude; first, the United Nations lacks the economic
      muscle to have significant political impact and secondly,
      the varied interests of its member states render it
      virtually impotent to pass any timely resolutions. If
      change is needed-especially at a relevant pace-the United
      Nations cannot be the primary venue.

      An individual state rather than an international
      organization is necessary to implement change. The ideal
      state would have sufficient international influence and
      economic power to support its policies. The United States,
      therefore, seems to be the best venue for this change to
      take place, for it has both the international recognition
      and, as both the economic superpower and the global leader
      in foreign aid, the financial muscle to make force a
      political response to its policies.

      Furthermore, because of the roles of its Congress and the
      State Department, the United States already has the
      framework in place to effect these changes. The State
      DepartmentÂ’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor,
      the government office which leads this effort, works with
      Congress to provide all the necessary information on human
      rights
      violations to United States policymakers in country
      briefs, summaries, and an annual report. While this has
      yet to result in considerable change for LGBT rights,
      evidence from the United StatesÂ’ efforts to combat human
      trafficking shows that this relationship can be extremely
      effective when used properly.

      To read the rest of Brad's superb article, please click
      on:

      http://thecaliforniacenter.org/documents/alexander-identification_and_enforcement.pdf

      Brad's 1st White Paper, "Congressional Action to Prevent
      LGBT Human Rights
      Abuses," is also available on our web site:

      http://thecaliforniacenter.org/documents/alexander-congressional_action_summary.pdf