RE: [VenturaCountyDemocrats] RE: [SBProgCoalition] Jill Martinez -= was: Tentative Retraction of Yesterday's Message

  • Kevin Ready
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
      Heather's tone was unnecessary and overly defensive. The post from Consuela that I responded to was not derogatory, just questioning, which I answered, giving the same basic answer as Heather. Let's not overreact. The opposition is over there on the other side.

      Kevin

      From: Heather Schmidt <heather@jillmartine z2006.com>
      Date: Oct 31, 2006 5:51 PM

      Hello concerned progressives!

      I am responding to you on behalf of the Jill Martinez for Congress campaign, and I would first like to thank you for your concerns over the FEC filings of our and all candidates.

      We take Fiscal Responsibility very seriously, unlike the Bush administration, and it is time for a change, so we appreciate your concerns.

      I think that you may have misread the FEC filing.  Jill quit her job last November working in the non-profit arena because a federal candidate cannot receive ANY income from a non-profit organization.  So, she has been living on nothing but savings for nearly a full year.  Because it has been so difficult to raise funds for this campaign, she also took out a second mortgage on her home, and gave $25,000 to the campaign.  She has since spent many more thousands of her own money with the goal of getting herself elected.  At the moment, we can only estimate that she has spent personally nearly $50,000 or so on this campaign.  She has received NOT ONE DIME IN COMPENSATION other than a few hundred dollars in legitimate reimbursements that were accompanied by receipts.

      Because Jill is new to this arena, she has a hired a professional, respected treasurer, who dutifully reports all expenses and donations and sends weekly updates to the campaign.  He is the one who reports to the FEC.  He would never allow Jill to accept any illegal compensation.  What she was told, however, was that EVERY candidate is allowed to receive a living expenses salary during their campaign.  She was expecting to receive about $5,000 PER MONTH, which is the average amount a candidate receives to cover their living expenses, and it was supposed to begin in January.  Do the math--$33,00 0 divided by $5,000 per month, comes to 6.5 months of salary, which would not even cover her from January until October.  Our treasurer keeps adding a $5,000 per month salary to the campaign's DEBT sheet, because that is what is required BY LAW, and if there is any money left over at the end of the campaign, she would receive the salary and a reimbursement for the $25,000 loan she made to the campaign.  As it stands now, there will not be any money left over, because EVERY DIME has been spent on the salaries of the staff working on the campaign, for media time, signs, door-hangers, mailers etc.  Again, JILL HAS NOT RECEIVED ONE DIME in compensation, and she is personally insulted by the distrust insinuated by this email.  Ask yourself, who would give up their job, mortgage their home, and go into massive debt just to SAVE THIS COUNTRY???  I'll tell you--Jill Martinez.

      And maybe next time, if anyone has a concern, they should be brave enough to contact the campaign directly instead of posting derogatory statements on the web. Jill, unlike Elton will always be accountable to her constituents and never be afraid to answer any and all questions.  JILL HAS NOTHING TO HIDE.

      The good news for those good Progressives out there is that the numbers are showing that there is only a 6,900 difference between registered Republicans and registered Democrats in this District, and many Republicans have shared that they have already voted for Jill.  This is a winnable race, and we believe there will be a huge surprise on November 7th.

      Thank you again for your concerns and please let us know if you have any other questions,

      Heather Schmidt
      Events Manager
      Jill Martinez for Congress

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006

        Hello,

        Kevin, I really appreciated your response, as it truly helped to clarify what was miscontrued from the filing information. I especially value your perspective, having been a candidate. You’re right, I agree that we need to keep our conversations clear and remember that truly we are all together here, trying to implement change at the ballot box. We must utilize our energy to educate undecided voters and also to motivate eligible voters to turn out. More than ever we need huge voter participation. There is so much at stake on this long ballot. It would be a shame to allow a measily 30-odd percent of the voters make such a huge impact on our lives. These propositions are cumbersome, but nevertheless some can do great harm and we need to be informed.

        Sharon

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
          "Consuello De La Escubar" sent this message to several local lists. I think there was some fear that it could be the start of a Karl Rove style "whispering campaign" to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt about Jill Martinez. With so little time left to go before the election they wanted to get out a reply as soon as possible. Most importantly they had to simply correct the facts. If it comes off a little reactionary it's probably because it was drafted in haste.

          If this all blows over as an innocent misunderstanding and we can forgive Consuello for the misinterpretation of the FEC report than we can probably also forgive Heather at the Jill Martinez campaign for a hasty reply.