Vets Ride Centralia

  • Lane Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Friends,

      Today's ride was the longest and hardest yet....from Kelso to Centralia.  Our host tonight is the Centralia Methodist Church.  We stopped for a break at a truck stop a while ago and were hassled by the locals.  Southern Washington is more like Texas!

      There are a lot of reasons for protest and activism.
      In this case, we are exercising individual responsibility for our addiction to oil and our materialism.  We recognize that the corporate kleptocrats who have misled us into the war in Iraq could not do it without our complicity.

      Riding is a great way to sort thoughts...almost as good as swimming.
      The forum for our ride is
      and although some of our activists in the ride didn't like the term, it resonates as I see the small town mood.
      Tom Brokaw wrote about the greatest generation.  What made them great?
      The were the generation raised during the great depression.
      They learned to cooperate and share in hoovervilles and conservation corps camps...there wasn't enough to go around so they sacrificed some so that everyone could have enough.  FDR seemed to understand and created contexts for this shared sacrifice.  When US citizens needed to make some sacrifices to defeat fascism, they came through....therefore they are the greatest generation.
      Today we face a great warming and a great energy crisis.
      There is a limited amount of fossil fuel left and using it is accelerating our warming.  Some people in the world never got a chance to participate in the great party that we have had for a hundred years based on cheap oil.
      During this party we have gotten used to a lifestyle that is unsustainable in itself....and if we even try to maintain it we will deprive people in Africa and Asia of basic needs.   So shared sacrifice is now again needed.  And once again, in a time of shortage and suffering, the spectre of fascism rises....but this time in our own country!   If we each can take responsibility for our part in the party.....we were all there.....and share the sacrifice, we may not have to have a global human dieoff.  It may not take too much...perhaps what Jimmy Carter proposed in his Crisis of Confidence speech in 1978 (google it)....slow down and conserve energy is a start, but we need to get everyone on board....that is why shared sacrifice is a good way to refer to it.

      But back to the ride....the blackberries are holding up.  There is no need for any energy bars or electrolytes in Oregon or Washington this time of year, blackberries are superior!  Tomorrow we will ride to Olympia and have a three day rest there.

      In solidarity, Lane

      A human being is a part of the whole, called by us Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty. -- Albert Einstein http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=1463
      "Sow Justice, Reap Peace -- Strategies for Moving Beyond War"
      2006 VFP Annual Convention August 10-13, Seattle, WA http://vfpnationalconvention.org/
      http://www.squadron13.com/RideforPeace/default.htm
      Stand up for our constitution and democracy: http://www.constitutionsummer.org/

      Do you Yahoo!?