"Yes, it can happen here," Opinion 2/1/06

  • Jon Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 8:19 AM

      “Monday’s violence is a reminder of the importance of local law enforcement,” a News-Press opinion piece tries to convince us as we struggle to understand how so many lives could be affected in such a short time. Shouldn’t the tragic shooting at our Goleta postal facility remind us, instead, of the crucial importance of readily available mental health care services?

      “100 law enforcement officers descended on the area,” we’re told, but only after the damage had been done. Yes, we need a police force, but how much of its work load could be lifted and how much tragedy averted if we were to spend what’s truly needed on drug and alcohol counseling, activities for kids to keep them out of gangs, job training to reduce the level of poverty in our community, and mental health services?

      Jon K. Williams

      300 Sheffield Drive

      Santa Barbara, CA 93108

      (805) 451-7608