Murtha resolution

  • Mark Phillips
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      The following is a letter that I sent to Lois Capps:

      I am writing today to urge your support of the Murtha resolution as
      it was originally put forward by Rep. John Murtha on November 17th.
      Nancy Pelosi has now come out in favor of this resolution.
      And after today's speech by our president, which was the usual stay
      the course pabulum, it is clear that our troops will continue
      fighting, killing, and dying for an indefinite length of time.

      It is clear today that we invaded Iraq under false pretenses. The
      rationale for being in Iraq has shifted repeatedly, the latest being
      the most bizarre, so the 2100 soldiers won't have die for a mistake.
      Well they did. And more deaths won't change that fact. It's time to
      get out. It's time to stop the killing. It was a mistake to go
      there. It's a mistake to stay there.

      You voted against authorizing Bush a carte blanche on Iraq.
      Fantastic! I will always respect you for that vote. You wrote me
      telling me it was the hardest decision of your career, if not your
      life. And in your speeches, I hear that you are standing firm with
      that decision and the course you have set.

      It's now time to take the next step. Please stand up with Rep.
      Murtha, Rep. Pelosi, et al. and get our troops home in the 6 month
      time frame Murtha has spelled out. This is the least we can do to
      end this disaster.

      There's an old saying that states 'When you find yourself at the
      bottom of a deep hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging.'
      It's time to stop digging and start healing.

      Yours respectfully,

      Mark Phillips