Re: [SB-r-us] MORE on retaining wall

  • Speireag Alden
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      Sgrìobh thorntondocs:

      >Regarding the use of
      >telephone poles or railroad crossties, would I have to consider that
      >the poles or crossties are treated with creosite which might leech
      >into thd occasional waterflow? This sounds the cheapest and easiest
      >and I have access to poles and ties.

      Yes. They'll leach. I would not use anything treated with
      creosote on my land, and in fact I cast a concrete post in place for
      the electrical service to avoid doing so.

      -Speireag.

      --
      "No harm in him: only needs a smack or two." --C. S. Lewis, in his
      diary, on his first meeting with J. R. R. Tolkien
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        > Thanks for all of the feedback regarding my retaining wall needs.
        > This is a great resource.

        sounds to me like what you've got is a small stream which sometime in the ast has been
        on a different course or had a major flood event which widened it and then the stream
        retreated leaving an old flood "terrace." Sounds like what you are proposing is really
        terracing down to the actual stream. The mountins in San Berdo are abundant with
        rock. Why not just create a series of wide terraces with some heavy rock, mortared or
        not (in fact if you slope the sides of your terraces back slightly the rock can be laid
        upon the slope and will hold...sort of like a batter on a dry-laid rock wall) which will
        create level spots to do as you wish...like garden or??? . I hold sloping areas like that all
        the time and the rock is free for the hauling and lifting (not counting the trips to the
        chiropractor after a day's work. LOL)
        susan