Re: [SB] casien powder

  • Athena & Bill Steen
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
      On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 09:45 PM, CALXA@... wrote:

      > Some suggest that the substitution of skim milk is liquid
      > casine....and can
      > be used in white wash.... Mixed with lime, I think you make Elmer's
      > casine
      > glue....
      >

      > Harry Francis

      Actually Harry, National Casein still produces a glue product which is
      nothing more than casein powder combined with hydrated lime. Add water
      and you're ready to go.

      I would say that the only difference is that casein was specified in
      traditional recipes, such as "Quark" in Germany, the non-fat or skim
      milk was allowed to curdle, the liquid part removed and then the
      remaining solids considered the desirable part for paints, etc.
      However, pure casein powder, when bought from a supplier, is
      approximately 6 to 8x stronger than curds prepared from the milk. For
      example if you are using a recipe that stipulates 1 part casein powder,
      you will need that much more in the way of curds to make it work, or
      vice versa.

      But I think the basic question here is why is the casein needed for the
      plaster, what is trying to be achieved.

      Bill

      Athena & Bill Steen
      The Canelo Project
      HC1 Box 324
      Canelo/Elgin, AZ 85611
      absteen@...
      www.caneloproject.com
    • Athena & Bill Steen
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
        The reason you don't want fats in casein formulas is that they dry
        poorly and in some contexts that could be a long time. That is why all
        traditional formulas utilize non-fat milks.

        But again, the basic question is, why is the casein needed in the first
        place.

        Bill

        On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 03:36 PM, Sherwood Botsford wrote:

        > On Saturday 01 February 2003 09:19 am, Kiley Myers wrote:
        > : I believe only skimmed powdered milk is available. I don't
        > : think the fats do well in the powdering process if I remember
        > : correctly (I used to work in the processed food industry, and
        > : if that isn't enough to make a person stick to whole foods, I
        > : don't know what is).
        > :
        >
        > You can buy powdered whole milk. However:
        > A. It's much harder to mix. without lumps.
        > B. Since the fats are partially unsaturated, they react with the
        > oxygen in
        > the air, and go rancid fairly quickly. The net result is that whole
        > milk powder
        > has the same storage characteristics as whole wheat flour. Keep cool
        > in
        > an airtight container. Try to use in 3 months.
        >

        > --
        > Sherwood Botsford 1-780-848-2881 Ext 134
        > St. John's School of Alberta RR - 5 Stony Plain,
        > Alberta TZ7 1X5
        > Alternate address sgbotsford@yahoo . com

        Athena & Bill Steen
        The Canelo Project
        HC1 Box 324
        Canelo/Elgin, AZ 85611
        absteen@...
        www.caneloproject.com
      • Athena & Bill Steen
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
          On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 09:00 PM, Leanne wrote:

          > hello all,
          > thanks for your replies to our request regarding casein powder. The
          > reason
          > we asked about it in the first place, is because we want to earth
          > render
          > our strawbale home, not using cement to bind the render. We have
          > recipes
          > that use lime, but does the lime make the render white? or lighten the
          > colour of the natural earth? and if so, what else can be used, to keep
          > the
          > natural earth colour?
          > thanks again
          > Leanne & Gordy

          Leanne,
          I would say that if you get the clay, sand and fiber proportions right,
          you don't need anything else. The trick is to get enough clay in the
          mix to keep the surface hard so it doesn't dust and enough aggregate
          and fiber to prevent cracking.

          Bill

          > ----------
          >> From: Athena & Bill Steen <absteen@...>
          >> To: STRAWBALE@...
          >> Subject: Re: [SB] casien powder
          >> Date: Wednesday, 5 February 2003 13:24
          >>
          >> The reason you don't want fats in casein formulas is that they dry
          >> poorly and in some contexts that could be a long time. That is why
          >> all
          >> traditional formulas utilize non-fat milks.
          >>
          >> But again, the basic question is, why is the casein needed in the
          >> first
          >> place.
          >>
          >> Bill
          >>
          >> On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 03:36 PM, Sherwood Botsford wrote:
          >>
          >>> On Saturday 01 February 2003 09:19 am, Kiley Myers wrote:
          >>> : I believe only skimmed powdered milk is available. I don't
          >>> : think the fats do well in the powdering process if I remember
          >>> : correctly (I used to work in the processed food industry, and
          >>> : if that isn't enough to make a person stick to whole foods, I
          >>> : don't know what is).
          >>> :
          >>>
          >>> You can buy powdered whole milk. However:
          >>> A. It's much harder to mix. without lumps.
          >>> B. Since the fats are partially unsaturated, they react with the
          >>> oxygen in
          >>> the air, and go rancid fairly quickly. The net result is that whole
          >>> milk powder
          >>> has the same storage characteristics as whole wheat flour. Keep cool
          >>> in
          >>> an airtight container. Try to use in 3 months.
          >>>

          >>> --
          >>> Sherwood Botsford 1-780-848-2881 Ext
          >>> 134
          >>> St. John's School of Alberta RR - 5 Stony Plain,
          >>> Alberta TZ7 1X5
          >>> Alternate address sgbotsford@yahoo . com
          >>>

          >> Athena & Bill Steen
          >> The Canelo Project