RE: resources for research please?

  • Bob Bolles
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      (Please reply directly to Sister Maxine at ypsosis@...)

      Dear Sister Maxine;
      Here in California, we deal with seismic conditions that I assume are
      similar to those in Greece. I am not an engineer, however, and therefore
      not well qualified to discuss the specifics of the structural
      characteristics of Straw Bale Construction. Therefore I am forwarding
      this onto Rene Dalmeijer (rene.dalmeijer@...), a bale designer in
      the Netherlands, Bruce King (bruce@...), a structural
      engineer that is an authority on the bale structural elements and wrote
      the book “Building with Earth and Straw”, and Maury & Joy Bennett
      (MBENN1035@...), directors of the California Straw Building
      Association and who may be able to direct you to others that may be of
      assistance. I am also forwarding it to the SB r us Straw Bale discussion
      group.
      The most recent testing information is available on the Ecological
      Building Network http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/ - click on the upper
      right hand corner: <http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/strawbale.htm> .

      Greece has always been one of my favorite countries to visit, and hope
      to return there again one day. Where in Greece are you located?

      Good luck on your project and best regards~
      bb

      Bob Bolles
      Sustainable Building Systems
      Bob@... www.StrawBaleHouse.com
      Join our community forum - It's yours to use
      http://www.onelist.com/community/casbasouth
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
        Dear sister Maxine,

        I can start off by saying that SB given the right design is quite well
        suited to Earthquake prone building sites. A recent test done under the
        auspices of Cale Ash, Mark Ascheim and David Marr bears this out. One of
        the nice features of SB walls is that they have a good capacity for
        absorbing quite severe displacement damage without collapsing. Basically
        given a good design this means that quite earthquake resistant single story
        SB buildings can be made Multistory is also possible but that would require
        much more substantial structural engineering then single story.

        I would be pleased to assist you in your endeavors to achieve facilities
        with a pleasant interior climate using SB.

        Rene Dalmeijer