2x2 Welded Wire Mesh in California

  • stephen holland-chang
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
      Howdy folks

      Quite an interesting discussion going on regarding the structual options for
      increasing the sill plate size and using the mesh as lateral bracing. In
      case anyone wanted more information on the testing done by the ecological
      building network here is the link to the PDF report :
      http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/pdfs/Out-of-plane_wall_tests.pdf
      Its really great to have people doing these amazing tests to explore
      alternate techniques and to have engineering support to provide us as well
      as the engineers! It makes all the difference to have this kind of data.

      We are using this ideology for the using the higher out of plane resistance
      provided by the increased sill and 2x2 WWM for our storage building
      structure. Decided against the process for our main house because this
      process requires you to use 1 1/4-1/2 " Stucco Plaster on the inside/outside
      of your wall. We preferred to have earthen plasters and x-bracing or hardy
      frames for the house.

      In any case, we are about ready to start baling our storage building in and
      was hoping those of you in CA that have experience with the 2x2 WWM would
      know a good source to get it. I have had a very hard time finding 2x2 WWM in
      14g. All anyone has that I can find is a 16g mesh or a 1x2 WWM 14g mesh
      which seems like it would be even harder to work with. I would really
      appreciate it if someone could email me a good source. We are in North
      Valley. I'm curious did y'all hand nail all the 14g staples or is there a
      pneumatic nailer out there that handles that type of staple?

      Thanks!

      stephen
    • design_forward
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2004
        I was able to purchase 2x2 mesh from Dixieline (sorta like a Hope
        Depot). I know that they are in the San Diego Area. But I am not sure
        where else they are. Here is the phone number for the one I used in
        Escondido, CA - (760) 745-7271.

        lisa van veen
        design forward >>>
        626.796.2566