Re: [SB-r-us] old, old straw bale foundations

  • billc_lists@greenbuilder.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      At 6:28 AM +0000 7/31/03, squeezehammerjang wrote:
      >I was just wondering. The stories you here of old houses and barns
      >still standing that are made of straw bale, what kind of foundation
      >did they have? Not poured concrete, surely?
      >Does anyone have any particular info on railroad tie on grade, with
      >no trenching?
      >I want to run a garden wall next to my mature Italian cypress and
      >don't want to disturb their roots with digging a trench to hold
      >gravel or concrete. Any ideas?

      I'm personally a strong naysayer to railroad ties and telephone poles
      as part of any habitable structure. Even if they're very old,
      there's still creosote and lord knows what all in 'em, and there's
      just no sense in asking for trouble.

      It seems to me that you should be able to work out a method of
      building an above-grade rubble "trench" foundation. Assuming that
      you're not putting in a basement, the inside wall of the foundation
      is going to be filled with dirt anyway, so you could simply fill feed
      bags with dirt as they often do for slab foundations in these parts.
      That would just leave you with a need to figure out a way of holding
      the gravel in. It's too late at night for my brain to come up with
      that one tonight...

      OTOH, you might just consider using dirt-bag technology for the
      actual foundation. See http://www.calearth.org for some interesting
      ideas.

      --
      Bill Christensen