Re: [practical-sbc] Professional Green Roof Design Guide (and Biochar) (Follow up)

  • Chris Green
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2013
      A bit of follow-up on the idea of using biochar as an amendment for soil used on a living roof:

      Some hits from a google search for 'biochar, green roof'

      A thesis paper: Effects of Biochar-Amended Soil on the Water Quality of Greenroof Runoff
      http://dr.archives.pdx.edu/xmlui/handle/psu/4740
      Click on the Links To Resources link at the top of the page to download the pdf of this thesis.

      Mixing biochar into soil for a roofing application:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZtIL5k2gPM

      Silviculture magazine article states: "The low weight of biochar makes
      it particularly attractive for green roof and urban forestry
      applications where minimizing soil mass is important."
      Biochar can also reduce the acidity of a soil, and perhaps absorb various contaminants.

      Source:
      http://www.silviculturemagazine.com/articles/winter-2013/biochar-and-its-potential-canadian-forestry#sthash.ASwJ9OMi.dpuf"

      Cheers,

      Chris Green.
      ____><>*<><____

    • Barbara Roemer
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2013
        Chris, I was pleased to see your advocacy for biochar. I've been a member
        of the International Biochar Initiative for a number of years, and last
        year when that group's international conference was only a few hours from
        where I live, I went. Our farm has had a good deal of biochar applied,
        both as a mulch and tilled in, and it is both far more productive than it
        was in the past and far more productive than other nearby farms with
        similar soils and approaches to growing, tilling, mulching, watering. We
        are building a biochar retort as a demonstration project which i hope will
        evolve to treat our county's greenwaste to produce biochar and recoverable
        gasses. But, I've met some cautionary tales along the way, and suggest for
        a balanced look, the following article:

        http://biocharfarms.org/farming/

        While it's true that there are many benefits from the use of biochar, there
        are some potential drawbacks which haven't yet been sufficiently explored -
        read to the section on Biochar Application, for instance:

        *Most biochars are likely to be highly susceptible to erosional processes
        as it is both light (it has a bulk density of 0.17-0.37 tons per cubic
        meter) and is often hydrophobic when freshly produced. Thus, biochar is
        extremely prone to runoff from heavy storms with its high buoyancy and it�s
        also extremely prone to wind erosion due to its light nature and to the
        fact that biochar tends to have a high dust fraction that can be easily
        made airborne during transport, incorporation, and post-application.*

        Nonetheless, the author is still a biochar enthusiast. I think I"ll get a
        little onto our sedum-covered roof on the straw bale generator shed. That
        living roof thrives with no summer water in the arid west, and has had no
        soil renewal since its installation about 6 years ago.

        Barbara Roemer
        Northern Sierra Foothills
        --

        We are silence,