Re: roof material for rain harvesting

  • RT
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2013

      On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 00:24:03 -0400, Reuben Deumling <9watts@...>
      wrote:

      > can you explain the rolls bit? My impression of standing seam roofs is
      > that they come in panels.

      I'd venture that the "best" roof for rainwater harvesting would be
      tempered glass ...and if the glass is from diverted-from-the-wastestream
      patio door insulating glass units whose edge seals have failed (IGUs then
      separated to yield two panels) one would be hard pressed to find a more
      Green roof material (chemically inert, indestructible, never needs
      replacement).

      But on the subject of standing seam metal roofing:

      Sheet metal flat stock is typically 36 inches wide but 48" wide stock is
      available from Murrican mills.

      Any company that fabricates pre-formed sheet metal roofing buys the sheet
      stock in big coils that are at least 4 ft (or more ? ... it's been awhile
      since I've been in a fabrication plant) in diameter requiring a fork lift
      to move. At the retail level, utility coils of 50 and 100ft lengths which
      are manageable by hand, are typically available. The local building supply
      is likely to keep 36x96 or 36x120 inch flat sheets on hand.

      The old rule of thumb (from the days when pans were formed by hand on
      site) is that standing seam pans should not exceed 18 inches in width.

      I've made standing seam pans on-site in the past using 28 and 26 gauge
      Galvalume stock, working alone -- a walk in the park.

      It's simply a matter of making two (or three, depending upon seam lock
      detail) bends along each longitudinal edge of the pan stock. A couple of
      10ft-plus lengths of steel angle (3"x 3" x 3/16" is a nice manageable
      size) with a few F-clamps and/or C-clamps makes a very serviceable brake
      press.

      This setup enables one to fabricate custom-shaped panels, useful for
      non-rectilinear roofs (like say for that ziggurat design that looked so
      nifty on paper ... or that reciprocal roof that was so awesome-looking at
      the framing stage ... but became a nightmare to put a roof on. )

      --
      === * ===
      Rob Tom AOD257

      < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
      (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")