Re: [SB-r-us] Silver Fire

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 17, 2013
      I can sympathize, we've been there a couple of times, it's a nail biting experience. Glad to hear all is well. Hey, here's a quick note from Europe in that RT, my old amigo from way back posted the message. Made me think of his perpetual comments about fired clay, brick products. Toured an old brick factory in Germany and I will never forget it, both in terms of the tremendous amount of energy used and the unbelievable impact on the workers health and well being. The owners are currently producing unfired clay and hemp bricks. Another note to all, for the most part, light clay and straw walls are a memory from the past. Most insulation is done with hemp panels or straw bales. And of course there is much more to say,but mañana.

      If you are ever curious about the biggest contribution of the good old USA to Europe, it is clearly good old rock n roll music. This morning it's Creedence with espresso.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jun 17, 2013, at 3:28 PM, RT <archilogic@...> wrote:

      > Many of you know Satomi so I thought that you'd appreciate knowing that
      > she's okay.
      >
      > I Googled "Silver Fire" and one of the hits was:
      >
      > http://www.scsun-news.com/silver_city-news/ci_23473639
      >
      > I looked out the window and tried to imagine all of the trees ... well,
      > everything in sight for as far as the eye can see... on fire, blazing out
      > of control but couldn't fathom it other than having some inkling that it
      > would likely fill me with horror and I doubt that I'd be as calm and
      > collected as Satomi seems to be.
      >

      > (The biggest issue around here is the pestiferousness of the mosquitoes
      > due to the copious amounts of rain we've been getting (welcomed after last
      > year's drought)... and that's such small potatoes considering what Satomi
      > and her neighbours are facing.)
      >

      > ================== Forwarded material ==================
      > On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:40:23 -0400, Satomi Lander <satomi@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Hi Rob,
      >>
      >> Sorry for my slow reply.
      >> Finally, I'm checking email.
      >>
      >> We were evacuated last Sunday 2:30am from a wild fire called Silver fire
      >> but we are ok. We are in Hillsboro now.
      >> Tom has been gone for his fire fighter duty in his wild fire gear. He
      >> didn't come back last night. ;-(
      >>
      >> I'm keeping myself busy to help community kitchen and so on...
      >>
      >> Our house is still there. whew!
      >> It's been a week.... Hoping we can go back home by Tuesday.
      >>
      >> Thank you! and thanks to all the fire fighters!
      >>
      >> Wish us luck!
      >>
      >> Salami
      > ============= end of forwarded material ==================
      >

      > --
      > === * ===
      > Rob Tom AOD257
      > Kanata, Ontario, Canada
      >
      > < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
      > (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")

    • Satomi Lander
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
        Thank you all for your support!
        We finally came back to our home! It was a loooooong 12 days. But we are back, YES!
        Just wanted to say thank you all and thank you for fire fighters!!!!

        satomi
        **********
        Satomi Lander
        LanderLand
        http://www.LanderLand.com

        On Jun 18, 2013, at 12:13 AM, Bill wrote:

        > I can sympathize, we've been there a couple of times, it's a nail biting experience. Glad to hear all is well. Hey, here's a quick note from Europe in that RT, my old amigo from way back posted the message. Made me think of his perpetual comments about fired clay, brick products. Toured an old brick factory in Germany and I will never forget it, both in terms of the tremendous amount of energy used and the unbelievable impact on the workers health and well being. The owners are currently producing unfired clay and hemp bricks. Another note to all, for the most part, light clay and straw walls are a memory from the past. Most insulation is done with hemp panels or straw bales. And of course there is much more to say,but ma�ana.
        >
        > If you are ever curious about the biggest contribution of the good old USA to Europe, it is clearly good old rock n roll music. This morning it's Creedence with espresso.
        >
        > Sent from my iPad
        >
        > On Jun 17, 2013, at 3:28 PM, RT <archilogic@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Many of you know Satomi so I thought that you'd appreciate knowing that
        > > she's okay.
        > >
        > > I Googled "Silver Fire" and one of the hits was:
        > >
        > > http://www.scsun-news.com/silver_city-news/ci_23473639
        > >
        > > I looked out the window and tried to imagine all of the trees ... well,
        > > everything in sight for as far as the eye can see... on fire, blazing out
        > > of control but couldn't fathom it other than having some inkling that it
        > > would likely fill me with horror and I doubt that I'd be as calm and
        > > collected as Satomi seems to be.
        > >

        > > (The biggest issue around here is the pestiferousness of the mosquitoes
        > > due to the copious amounts of rain we've been getting (welcomed after last
        > > year's drought)... and that's such small potatoes considering what Satomi
        > > and her neighbours are facing.)
        > >

        > > ================== Forwarded material ==================
        > > On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:40:23 -0400, Satomi Lander <satomi@...>
        > > wrote:
        > >
        > >> Hi Rob,
        > >>
        > >> Sorry for my slow reply.
        > >> Finally, I'm checking email.
        > >>
        > >> We were evacuated last Sunday 2:30am from a wild fire called Silver fire
        > >> but we are ok. We are in Hillsboro now.
        > >> Tom has been gone for his fire fighter duty in his wild fire gear. He
        > >> didn't come back last night. ;-(
        > >>
        > >> I'm keeping myself busy to help community kitchen and so on...
        > >>
        > >> Our house is still there. whew!
        > >> It's been a week.... Hoping we can go back home by Tuesday.
        > >>
        > >> Thank you! and thanks to all the fire fighters!
        > >>
        > >> Wish us luck!
        > >>
        > >> Salami
        > > ============= end of forwarded material ==================
        > >

        > > --
        > > === * ===
        > > Rob Tom AOD257
        > > Kanata, Ontario, Canada
        > >
        > > < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
        > > (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")

      • Jun
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
          良かったです!

          jun