plastering

  • Katy Blanchard
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
      We are getting close to being ready to start plastering. Here's my question: we will have a cathedral ceiling with straw walls that go up past the ceiling and almost to the height of the roof with room for the soffit vents. We will be blowing in insulation. Should we be plastering on top of the bales before the insulation is blown in or will the insulation protect the top of the bales? You can see what I'm talking about on our blog: www.otrabandanm.blogspot.com. We have a very good roof and plenty of overhang and I would dearly love to not have to plaster if it's not necessary!
      Thanks!
      Katy

    • lovemymorgans
      Message 2 of 7 , May 20, 2013
        First question- what are you plastering with? If you are plastering with a lime/clay mix you might want to do the top of the bales. If you are plastering with just lime maybe not. Why do I say this? :-) We went through a similar issue- the dilemma? Probably always better to cover the bales completely to keep pests out but it's also good to allow them to breathe - just in case they get damp. If the plaster breathes then covering the bales completely keeps the bugs/pests out and allows the moisture to escape. If it doesn't breathe? Yeah. We compromised and put a different plaster mixture on the top of the bales then on the walls- one with more 'breathability'. :-) So far, so good. Been living in it 7, almost 8 years. Did a moisture test a few years ago and we were 100% perfect. Haven't noticed any pests or bugs. But we are pretty diligent about not having any available access to the attic for them either. Still- it seems like it was a good compromise.

        I'm sure there'll be lots of different opinions here! That's whats so fantastic about this list.... :-)

        Chris PB

        --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, Katy Blanchard <katy@...> wrote:

        > We are getting close to being ready to start plastering. Here's my question: we will have a cathedral ceiling with straw walls that go up past the ceiling and almost to the height of the roof with room for the soffit vents. We will be blowing in insulation. Should we be plastering on top of the bales before the insulation is blown in or will the insulation protect the top of the bales? You can see what I'm talking about on our blog: www.otrabandanm.blogspot.com. We have a very good roof and plenty of overhang and I would dearly love to not have to plaster if it's not necessary!
        > Thanks!
        > Katy

      • John Glassford
        Message 3 of 7 , May 20, 2013
          G ' day

          The list has been pretty quiet lately I suppose the Northerners winter had
          something to do with that.

          With a cathedral ceiling and exposed bale walls at the top I would
          apply the same render as being used on the walls. My concern is fire and
          creating a chimney effect for the fire to take hold and do damage. I also
          like sealing the tops to prevent mice from getting in. We had a mouse
          plague here last year with 3,000 mice to the acre, all around us. I am
          very happy to say that with the sealed walls they did not get in. They got
          into the house through the bottom of the doors and through one opening in
          the straw bale wall which had our drainage for the kitchen sink.
          .
          Kind regards
          The Straw Wolf
          Huff 'n' Puff Constructions
          http://www.glassford.com.au
          61 2 6927 6027
          In Australia (02) 6927 6027

          NEXT PROJECT
          Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day
          http://theork.com

        • Katy Blanchard
          Message 4 of 7 , May 21, 2013
            Thanks everyone! Great advice!!!
            Will be plastering the tops of our bales with an earthen mix. We're currently working on the inside wall framing but then it's on to plastering.
            Katy

            On May 20, 2013, at 11:02 PM, John Glassford wrote:

            > G ' day
            >
            > The list has been pretty quiet lately I suppose the Northerners winter had
            > something to do with that.
            >
            > With a cathedral ceiling and exposed bale walls at the top I would
            > apply the same render as being used on the walls. My concern is fire and
            > creating a chimney effect for the fire to take hold and do damage. I also
            > like sealing the tops to prevent mice from getting in. We had a mouse
            > plague here last year with 3,000 mice to the acre, all around us. I am
            > very happy to say that with the sealed walls they did not get in. They got
            > into the house through the bottom of the doors and through one opening in
            > the straw bale wall which had our drainage for the kitchen sink.
            > .
            > Kind regards
            > The Straw Wolf
            > Huff 'n' Puff Constructions
            > http://www.glassford.com.au
            > 61 2 6927 6027
            > In Australia (02) 6927 6027
            >
            > NEXT PROJECT
            > Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day
            > http://theork.com

          • Mark M
            Message 5 of 7 , May 22, 2013
              Hi, I am new to the group and straw bale but learning.
              Would it make sense to have small (say 4"x12") openings at the top of the
              bale walls with hard screens in them?
              This would allow for some breathing while protecting from pests.
              Scanning Bruce King's Straw Bale Buildings 5.2.3 not seeing anything off
              hand, will keep looking.

              In beekeeping we put a small ventilation
              board<http://urbanfarmandbeehives.com/?p=300>with screen and collector
              atop the hives to keep the moisture from falling
              back onto the bees. Works great. That's where I got the thought :)