SB now in the 2015 Building Code

  • Chris Green
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2013
      Straw Bale and Light Straw Clay will be included in the 2015 Building Code, according to this Facebook post tonight on on the CASBA Facebook page:

      "David Eisenberg shares fantastic news: "Just a quick News Flash! (Martin
      Hammer will no doubt follow with more details) but.... our straw bale
      appendix for the 2015 IRC was just approved by the committee in Dallas
      at the ICC code development hearings by a vote of 8 to 1! Kudos to so
      many - Martin, Mark Aschheim, Laura Bartels, who were also here in
      Dallas, and Kevin Donahue, Bruce King, and an amazing cast of characters who I won't try to name now... And the light straw clay appendix was
      also approved 6-3! Waaahoooo!!!" "

      From:
      https://www.facebook.com/CASBACaliforniaStrawBuildingAssociation?ref=stream

      More info to follow. :-)

      Cheers,

      Chris Green.

    • Derek Stearns Roff
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
        It's great news, but perhaps a bit premature to say that these sections "will be included in the 2015 Building Code". Committee approval has happened. The final vote for inclusion is still in the future. The announcement indicates that full approval is probable. However, it hasn't yet been accomplished.

        Derek

        Straw Bale and Light Straw Clay will be included in the 2015 Building Code, according to this Facebook post tonight on on the CASBA Facebook page:

        "David Eisenberg shares fantastic news: "Just a quick News Flash! (Martin
        Hammer will no doubt follow with more details) but.... our straw bale
        appendix for the 2015 IRC was just approved by the committee in Dallas
        at the ICC code development hearings by a vote of 8 to 1! Kudos to so
        many - Martin, Mark Aschheim, Laura Bartels, who were also here in
        Dallas, and Kevin Donahue, Bruce King, and an amazing cast of characters who I won't try to name now... And the light straw clay appendix was
        also approved 6-3! Waaahoooo!!!" "

        From:
        https://www.facebook.com/CASBACaliforniaStrawBuildingAssociation?ref=stream

        Derek Roff
        derek@...<mailto:derek@...>

      • Katy Blanchard
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
          We are getting close to being ready to start plastering. Here's my question: we will have a cathedral ceiling with straw walls that go up past the ceiling and almost to the height of the roof with room for the soffit vents. We will be blowing in insulation. Should we be plastering on top of the bales before the insulation is blown in or will the insulation protect the top of the bales? You can see what I'm talking about on our blog: www.otrabandanm.blogspot.com. We have a very good roof and plenty of overhang and I would dearly love to not have to plaster if it's not necessary!
          Thanks!
          Katy

        • lovemymorgans
          Message 4 of 7 , May 20 9:50 PM
            First question- what are you plastering with? If you are plastering with a lime/clay mix you might want to do the top of the bales. If you are plastering with just lime maybe not. Why do I say this? :-) We went through a similar issue- the dilemma? Probably always better to cover the bales completely to keep pests out but it's also good to allow them to breathe - just in case they get damp. If the plaster breathes then covering the bales completely keeps the bugs/pests out and allows the moisture to escape. If it doesn't breathe? Yeah. We compromised and put a different plaster mixture on the top of the bales then on the walls- one with more 'breathability'. :-) So far, so good. Been living in it 7, almost 8 years. Did a moisture test a few years ago and we were 100% perfect. Haven't noticed any pests or bugs. But we are pretty diligent about not having any available access to the attic for them either. Still- it seems like it was a good compromise.

            I'm sure there'll be lots of different opinions here! That's whats so fantastic about this list.... :-)

            Chris PB

            --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, Katy Blanchard <katy@...> wrote:

            > We are getting close to being ready to start plastering. Here's my question: we will have a cathedral ceiling with straw walls that go up past the ceiling and almost to the height of the roof with room for the soffit vents. We will be blowing in insulation. Should we be plastering on top of the bales before the insulation is blown in or will the insulation protect the top of the bales? You can see what I'm talking about on our blog: www.otrabandanm.blogspot.com. We have a very good roof and plenty of overhang and I would dearly love to not have to plaster if it's not necessary!
            > Thanks!
            > Katy

          • John Glassford
            Message 5 of 7 , May 20 10:02 PM
              G ' day

              The list has been pretty quiet lately I suppose the Northerners winter had
              something to do with that.

              With a cathedral ceiling and exposed bale walls at the top I would
              apply the same render as being used on the walls. My concern is fire and
              creating a chimney effect for the fire to take hold and do damage. I also
              like sealing the tops to prevent mice from getting in. We had a mouse
              plague here last year with 3,000 mice to the acre, all around us. I am
              very happy to say that with the sealed walls they did not get in. They got
              into the house through the bottom of the doors and through one opening in
              the straw bale wall which had our drainage for the kitchen sink.
              .
              Kind regards
              The Straw Wolf
              Huff 'n' Puff Constructions
              http://www.glassford.com.au
              61 2 6927 6027
              In Australia (02) 6927 6027

              NEXT PROJECT
              Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day
              http://theork.com

            • Katy Blanchard
              Message 6 of 7 , May 21 6:56 AM
                Thanks everyone! Great advice!!!
                Will be plastering the tops of our bales with an earthen mix. We're currently working on the inside wall framing but then it's on to plastering.
                Katy

                On May 20, 2013, at 11:02 PM, John Glassford wrote:

                > G ' day
                >
                > The list has been pretty quiet lately I suppose the Northerners winter had
                > something to do with that.
                >
                > With a cathedral ceiling and exposed bale walls at the top I would
                > apply the same render as being used on the walls. My concern is fire and
                > creating a chimney effect for the fire to take hold and do damage. I also
                > like sealing the tops to prevent mice from getting in. We had a mouse
                > plague here last year with 3,000 mice to the acre, all around us. I am
                > very happy to say that with the sealed walls they did not get in. They got
                > into the house through the bottom of the doors and through one opening in
                > the straw bale wall which had our drainage for the kitchen sink.
                > .
                > Kind regards
                > The Straw Wolf
                > Huff 'n' Puff Constructions
                > http://www.glassford.com.au
                > 61 2 6927 6027
                > In Australia (02) 6927 6027
                >
                > NEXT PROJECT
                > Mount Kenya 2015 ANZAC Day
                > http://theork.com

              • Mark M
                Message 7 of 7 , May 22 9:58 AM
                  Hi, I am new to the group and straw bale but learning.
                  Would it make sense to have small (say 4"x12") openings at the top of the
                  bale walls with hard screens in them?
                  This would allow for some breathing while protecting from pests.
                  Scanning Bruce King's Straw Bale Buildings 5.2.3 not seeing anything off
                  hand, will keep looking.

                  In beekeeping we put a small ventilation
                  board<http://urbanfarmandbeehives.com/?p=300>with screen and collector
                  atop the hives to keep the moisture from falling
                  back onto the bees. Works great. That's where I got the thought :)