Re: [SB-r-us] Strawbale Wrap

  • Ellis Hein
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18 3:26 PM
      Hi Jill,

      Where in Montana are you?

      Your proposed plan sounds ok to me if you have sufficient overhang to
      protect the bale walls. The one thing I have thought about is windows. I
      would move the windows to the outside of the bale wall to lessen the amount
      of horizontal surface for snow to collect on. I am sure you will get other
      comments for people on the list.

      Ellis Hein, near Casper, WY
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 21 10:22 AM
        Posted by: "jill" greenbiobean@...

        > Hi, We are hoping to retrofit an existing poorly designed
        > house in one of the driest locations in Montana with shed
        > overhangs and a strawbale wrap. We are still very preliminary
        > but are seeking some critical thinking about our ideas.

        Hi Jill;

        I am a bit hesitant to recommend an alternative, on a
        strawbale list, but, it would seem that your strawbale
        solution would require a rubble trench foundation and
        grade beam. For less work and cost, you could either
        fur out your walls, or wrap them in recycled foam to
        achieve about as high Rvalue, without needing additional
        foundation, or the building of a much larger roof area.
        You also would not need to move your windows outward.

        > On the interior we would like to fill the existing 2x4
        > space with light straw of clay slip and then plaster.

        I recommend not tearing off your interior finish, and blowing
        the wall cavities with dense packed cellulose. That will get
        you a better insulation value, and reduce your labor to a
        fraction of what it would be with the straw clay. You can
        still use a natural plaster finish.

        > All of the plumbing and electrical would remain in the
        > existing stud walls.

        The pros and cons of that are similar, regardless.

        > Solar gain to the south will be considered

        Build a low-mass sunspace (sunporch) over your existing
        South wall, so that the wall will not require super-insulation
        (blow it full of cellulose). Between doing that, and doing the
        insulation/sealing upgrade you could reduce your heating
        loads to very tiny. How big is the house? Is it single
        story? What type of foundation/floor?

        -Laren Corie-
        Natural Solar Building Design and
        Solar Heating/Natural Cooling/Energy
        Efficiency Consultation Since 1975
        www.ThermalAttic.com (many new
        photos and pages, coming soon)

        Read my Solar house design articles in:
        -Energy Self-Sufficiency Newsletter-
        www.essnmag.com

        Home base-LittleHouses YahooGroup
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleHouses/

        Founder-WoodGas - Power from wood
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodGas

        Founder-RefrigeratorAlternatives YahooGroup
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RefrigeratorAlternatives
      • pcstockfarm@yahoo.ca
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 21 11:09 AM
          Fantastic advice Laren. As much as we love eco-friendly methods, we have found that there are certain applications to which they simply are not practical.

          Cheers,
          Darcy