Strawbale Wrap

  • jill
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18, 2013
      Hi, We are hoping to retrofit an existing poorly designed house in one of the driest locations in Montana with shed overhangs and a strawbale wrap. We are still very preliminary but are seeking some critical thinking about our ideas. We would like to remove the existing exterior vinyl siding that needs replaced/fixed and stack the bales right up to the studs and tie them in. On the interior we would like to fill the existing 2x4 space with light straw of clay slip and then plaster. All of the plumbing and electrical would remain in the existing stud walls.Any thoughts on potential problems or issues would be helpfull. Solar gain to the south will be considered and we would use a local clay stucco on the outside.
    • Ellis Hein
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18, 2013
        Hi Jill,

        Where in Montana are you?

        Your proposed plan sounds ok to me if you have sufficient overhang to
        protect the bale walls. The one thing I have thought about is windows. I
        would move the windows to the outside of the bale wall to lessen the amount
        of horizontal surface for snow to collect on. I am sure you will get other
        comments for people on the list.

        Ellis Hein, near Casper, WY
        > Hi, We are hoping to retrofit an existing poorly designed house in one of
        > the driest locations in Montana with shed overhangs and a strawbale wrap.
        > We are still very preliminary but are seeking some critical thinking about
        > our ideas. We would like to remove the existing exterior vinyl siding that
        > needs replaced/fixed and stack the bales right up to the studs and tie
        > them in. On the interior we would like to fill the existing 2x4 space with
        > light straw of clay slip and then plaster. All of the plumbing and
        > electrical would remain in the existing stud walls.Any thoughts on
        > potential problems or issues would be helpfull. Solar gain to the south
        > will be considered and we would use a local clay stucco on the outside.

      • LarenCorie
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 21, 2013
          Posted by: "jill" greenbiobean@...

          > Hi, We are hoping to retrofit an existing poorly designed
          > house in one of the driest locations in Montana with shed
          > overhangs and a strawbale wrap. We are still very preliminary
          > but are seeking some critical thinking about our ideas.

          Hi Jill;

          I am a bit hesitant to recommend an alternative, on a
          strawbale list, but, it would seem that your strawbale
          solution would require a rubble trench foundation and
          grade beam. For less work and cost, you could either
          fur out your walls, or wrap them in recycled foam to
          achieve about as high Rvalue, without needing additional
          foundation, or the building of a much larger roof area.
          You also would not need to move your windows outward.

          > On the interior we would like to fill the existing 2x4
          > space with light straw of clay slip and then plaster.

          I recommend not tearing off your interior finish, and blowing
          the wall cavities with dense packed cellulose. That will get
          you a better insulation value, and reduce your labor to a
          fraction of what it would be with the straw clay. You can
          still use a natural plaster finish.

          > All of the plumbing and electrical would remain in the
          > existing stud walls.

          The pros and cons of that are similar, regardless.

          > Solar gain to the south will be considered

          Build a low-mass sunspace (sunporch) over your existing
          South wall, so that the wall will not require super-insulation
          (blow it full of cellulose). Between doing that, and doing the
          insulation/sealing upgrade you could reduce your heating
          loads to very tiny. How big is the house? Is it single
          story? What type of foundation/floor?

          -Laren Corie-
          Natural Solar Building Design and
          Solar Heating/Natural Cooling/Energy
          Efficiency Consultation Since 1975
          www.ThermalAttic.com (many new
          photos and pages, coming soon)

          Read my Solar house design articles in:
          -Energy Self-Sufficiency Newsletter-
          www.essnmag.com

          Home base-LittleHouses YahooGroup
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleHouses/

          Founder-WoodGas - Power from wood
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodGas

          Founder-RefrigeratorAlternatives YahooGroup
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RefrigeratorAlternatives
        • pcstockfarm@yahoo.ca
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21, 2013
            Fantastic advice Laren. As much as we love eco-friendly methods, we have found that there are certain applications to which they simply are not practical.

            Cheers,
            Darcy