Re: Hi all! New guy here! 'Need straw bale info please.

  • Derek Stearns Roff
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 18, 2013
      I thought that people "here" could tell me what I wanted to know.

      Regardless of who is asking about SB building, the people on this list may be able to tell you a fair amount of what you want to know. Depending on what you want to know. Odds are also good that they will tell you some things you don't want to hear. Depending on how willing you are to hear things that differ from your expectations. We agree on a lot of things, especially the broad principles, and disagree on a lot of things, especially the fine details. As a group, we are guaranteed NOT to be able to provide all the information someone needs to build a house well.

      In the current case, several communications have suggested useful ways to supplement learning, that present learning opportunities beyond, and superior to, reading brief paragraphs of text, written by scattered authors, from a computer screen. People are taking their time to give you the best advice they can, on how to be more successful, and make fewer dumb mistakes, by opening up the range of learning channels. These suggestions seem like good advice to me, but they don't seem to have excited waterengineman101. Each of us has their own path.

      I consider this group to be welcoming and helpful. Also forthright, and honest, within certain parameters. Not everyone puts these traits at the top of their list.

      Derek

      Derek Roff
      derek@...<mailto:derek@...>

    • waterengineman101
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 19, 2013
        "As a group, we are guaranteed NOT to be able to provide all the information someone needs to build a house well"..I think you are looking at it from the negative side.

        And sorry there Derrick ol buddy. I had no intentions of "putting water" on yours or anybody elses corn flakes when I asked questions.

        I am continueing my quest.

        --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, Derek Stearns Roff <derek@...> wrote:

        > I thought that people "here" could tell me what I wanted to know.
        >
        > Regardless of who is asking about SB building, the people on this list may be able to tell you a fair amount of what you want to know. Depending on what you want to know. Odds are also good that they will tell you some things you don't want to hear. Depending on how willing you are to hear things that differ from your expectations. We agree on a lot of things, especially the broad principles, and disagree on a lot of things, especially the fine details. As a group, we are guaranteed NOT to be able to provide all the information someone needs to build a house well.
        >
        > In the current case, several communications have suggested useful ways to supplement learning, that present learning opportunities beyond, and superior to, reading brief paragraphs of text, written by scattered authors, from a computer screen. People are taking their time to give you the best advice they can, on how to be more successful, and make fewer dumb mistakes, by opening up the range of learning channels. These suggestions seem like good advice to me, but they don't seem to have excited waterengineman101. Each of us has their own path.
        >
        > I consider this group to be welcoming and helpful. Also forthright, and honest, within certain parameters. Not everyone puts these traits at the top of their list.
        >
        > Derek
        >
        > Derek Roff
        > derek@...<mailto:derek@...>

      • michael hollihn
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 19, 2013
          sounds like you're ready to take the next step shane
          do you have a design on paper?
          can you share any visual design with the group?
          since this is an outbuilding and not a home you can take a few liberties
          and make a few more mistakes
          as long as they are minor ones all the better
          the structure is up to you to build it to or beyond code
          where the bales meet the earth and the structure is where design on paper
          helps achieve success here
          this will also give you your next round of questions if any
          as long as your "hat" and "shoes" are done keeping moisture in mind
          you can leave the bales unrenderred for many moons before you undertake
          those lessons
          regarding insects, this might change the above sentence, sounds like there
          was a book mentioned that could help you

          michael hollihn
          british columbia
          www.pranatimberframes.com
          www.michaelhollihn.wordpress.com
          building food and shelter security in the Kettle River watershed
          "Activism is the rent i pay for living on this planet" AWalker
          'Be the change that you want to see' ghandi
          breath is bridge between mind body spirit
          insert silence into the daily run of mind
          meditate on words of loving kindness
          existence precedes essence
          you are not your thoughts
          you are all relations