Re: Hi all! New guy here! 'Need straw bale info please.

  • waterengineman101
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 18, 2013
      I thought that people "here" could tell me what I wanted to know.

      --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, Nancy or David Gray <ndgray@...> wrote:

      > How close to California?  You would need a month just to see the more spectacular offerings in only upstate.

    • Derek Stearns Roff
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 18, 2013
        I thought that people "here" could tell me what I wanted to know.

        Regardless of who is asking about SB building, the people on this list may be able to tell you a fair amount of what you want to know. Depending on what you want to know. Odds are also good that they will tell you some things you don't want to hear. Depending on how willing you are to hear things that differ from your expectations. We agree on a lot of things, especially the broad principles, and disagree on a lot of things, especially the fine details. As a group, we are guaranteed NOT to be able to provide all the information someone needs to build a house well.

        In the current case, several communications have suggested useful ways to supplement learning, that present learning opportunities beyond, and superior to, reading brief paragraphs of text, written by scattered authors, from a computer screen. People are taking their time to give you the best advice they can, on how to be more successful, and make fewer dumb mistakes, by opening up the range of learning channels. These suggestions seem like good advice to me, but they don't seem to have excited waterengineman101. Each of us has their own path.

        I consider this group to be welcoming and helpful. Also forthright, and honest, within certain parameters. Not everyone puts these traits at the top of their list.

        Derek

        Derek Roff
        derek@...<mailto:derek@...>

      • waterengineman101
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 19, 2013
          "As a group, we are guaranteed NOT to be able to provide all the information someone needs to build a house well"..I think you are looking at it from the negative side.

          And sorry there Derrick ol buddy. I had no intentions of "putting water" on yours or anybody elses corn flakes when I asked questions.

          I am continueing my quest.

          --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, Derek Stearns Roff <derek@...> wrote:

          > I thought that people "here" could tell me what I wanted to know.
          >
          > Regardless of who is asking about SB building, the people on this list may be able to tell you a fair amount of what you want to know. Depending on what you want to know. Odds are also good that they will tell you some things you don't want to hear. Depending on how willing you are to hear things that differ from your expectations. We agree on a lot of things, especially the broad principles, and disagree on a lot of things, especially the fine details. As a group, we are guaranteed NOT to be able to provide all the information someone needs to build a house well.
          >
          > In the current case, several communications have suggested useful ways to supplement learning, that present learning opportunities beyond, and superior to, reading brief paragraphs of text, written by scattered authors, from a computer screen. People are taking their time to give you the best advice they can, on how to be more successful, and make fewer dumb mistakes, by opening up the range of learning channels. These suggestions seem like good advice to me, but they don't seem to have excited waterengineman101. Each of us has their own path.
          >
          > I consider this group to be welcoming and helpful. Also forthright, and honest, within certain parameters. Not everyone puts these traits at the top of their list.
          >
          > Derek
          >
          > Derek Roff
          > derek@...<mailto:derek@...>

        • michael hollihn
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 19, 2013
            sounds like you're ready to take the next step shane
            do you have a design on paper?
            can you share any visual design with the group?
            since this is an outbuilding and not a home you can take a few liberties
            and make a few more mistakes
            as long as they are minor ones all the better
            the structure is up to you to build it to or beyond code
            where the bales meet the earth and the structure is where design on paper
            helps achieve success here
            this will also give you your next round of questions if any
            as long as your "hat" and "shoes" are done keeping moisture in mind
            you can leave the bales unrenderred for many moons before you undertake
            those lessons
            regarding insects, this might change the above sentence, sounds like there
            was a book mentioned that could help you

            michael hollihn
            british columbia
            www.pranatimberframes.com
            www.michaelhollihn.wordpress.com
            building food and shelter security in the Kettle River watershed
            "Activism is the rent i pay for living on this planet" AWalker
            'Be the change that you want to see' ghandi
            breath is bridge between mind body spirit
            insert silence into the daily run of mind
            meditate on words of loving kindness
            existence precedes essence
            you are not your thoughts
            you are all relations