Re: Hi all! New guy here! 'Need straw bale info please.

  • gabe_stryker
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 11 11:31 AM
      I am a novice, but did participate in a straw bale workshop with Andrew Morrison. I distinctly remember him saying not to mix media. You may want to look further into whether cob covered with lime plaster will work well. There is a risk of the lime plaster separating from the cob and falling away in large chunks.

      Best wishes on your new home! -Gabe

      --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "waterengineman101" wrote:

      > Hi all. I am new to this sight and I have a lot of questions I need answers to concerning building with straw bales. My plan is simple. I will build a big pole barn cover, then make walls with the hay bales. I want to plaster over them inside and out with cob. Then plaster over that with lime plaster. I have seen nothing but good things said about cob and hay bale houses. But that's just it. Nothging ever bad is said. What about termites? What about fire ants? What about scorpions? We live near middle Texas and we have all of that here. Anybody ever have some problems with any of these issues? inquiring minds want to know. Well hope to hear back from someone. I hope that being a member here becomes a fufilling and rewarding experiance. Thank you for your time.
      >
      > w.

    • caraleekanab
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 11 4:28 PM
        I would suggest you not entirely rely on groups like this or anecdotal information, but instead go to somewhere like Amazon.com and buy everything you can find when you do a search for “strawbale” (not hay). There are very good books, one of the best is by Bruce King, et al, which will answer many of your questions. But you should buy more than one book. You should also consider taking a workshop or two such as those given at www.caneloproject.com. You MUST do a great deal of homework before beginning. This is a very good group, but not for your broader needs; it’s great for specific information on specific issues. There are tons of these issues you’ll run into, but fire ants (I used to live in Ft. Worth, so I know them) and scorpions are issues that occur outside of using straw. Do your reading, know your codes, and think hard. For the record, you have already raised an issue that others on this list over the years have dealt with: lime over earthen plaster (cob, sort of). It doesn’t always (maybe even usually doesn’t) work very well. Find out why before you begin. The worst thing you can do is enter into this without being completely cognizant of the things you must know before beginning. It’s not always as simple as it sounds.

        Caralee in Utah
        www.builtbyhandstrawbale.com

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 11 6:45 PM
          Best of luck to you in your project. I agree completely that you should read every book available to you about straw bale building, and after that, get familiar with your local building code regarding the same. If your county does not have a code for straw bale, pima county in Tucson AZ has a pretty good one. In this case, it's not all about the Govt. Gettingall up in your face being bossy...it is informative about how to make straw bale structures that last and are safe.
          There definitely are things beyond good said about straw bale. To me the two biggest are
          1. Straw bale doesn't usually end up being any cheaper than conventional building materials
          ( though the benefits far outweigh those conventional ones)
          2. The biggest enemy is moisture. Do it right the first time, because a wet straw bale is no good.

          Good luck again, and please send photos in progress and completed.

          --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "waterengineman101" wrote:

          > Hi all. I am new to this sight and I have a lot of questions I need answers to concerning building with straw bales. My plan is simple. I will build a big pole barn cover, then make walls with the hay bales. I want to plaster over them inside and out with cob. Then plaster over that with lime plaster. I have seen nothing but good things said about cob and hay bale houses. But that's just it. Nothging ever bad is said. What about termites? What about fire ants? What about scorpions? We live near middle Texas and we have all of that here. Anybody ever have some problems with any of these issues? inquiring minds want to know. Well hope to hear back from someone. I hope that being a member here becomes a fufilling and rewarding experiance. Thank you for your time.
          >
          > w.

        • Nancy or David Gray
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 11 7:18 PM
            Great advice.  For the record there are really two Bruce King books,  the second is 'with others', though he is clearly the driving force.  In the latter he actually addresses your worries of ants and scorpions.
            As for workshops, a summer, or a week, at Caralee's would be well spent.  There are others that might be nearer to you.  Happy baling.  DG

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 11 10:06 PM
              Yes, the Bruce King book I like the most (with others, “et al”) is DESIGN OF STRAWBALE BUILDINGS. In this book at one point he quotes Yogi Berra: “If this were easy, it wouldn’t be so hard.” I agree. For the record, we’ve been at this for eight years, but we’re getting close! We’ve learned a lot, and there is much to know. Strawbales are not merely a substitute for other kinds of insulation, you know? I updated the website in early January if anyone wants to take a look. www.builtbyhandstrawbale.com David, you’re welcome here anytime!

              Caralee

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 11 10:11 PM
                And....go to a workshop. Nothing better than getting hands on experience to see if it's something you really want to invest a lot of time into! :) Happy Baling!

                Toby
                Square One (our straw bale post & beam house), Hokkaido, Japan

                Toby Weymiller
                ウェイミラー・トビー
                toby@...
                clubbongo@...

                "Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace

                Sent from my iPhone

                On 2013/02/12, at 15:06, <cgwoods@...> wrote:

                > Yes, the Bruce King book I like the most (with others, “et al”) is DESIGN OF STRAWBALE BUILDINGS. In this book at one point he quotes Yogi Berra: “If this were easy, it wouldn’t be so hard.” I agree. For the record, we’ve been at this for eight years, but we’re getting close! We’ve learned a lot, and there is much to know. Strawbales are not merely a substitute for other kinds of insulation, you know? I updated the website in early January if anyone wants to take a look. www.builtbyhandstrawbale.com David, you’re welcome here anytime!
                >
                > Caralee

              • waterengineman101
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 14 7:26 PM
                  Hello saralee....welll...here is a start...and a good start. Books are okay but I feel it is not complicated. However I may buy some books on the subject some day. There are no workshops in our area. And if there were, I work fullltime, I couldn't go. I was planning on building this straw bale house on the weekends. The bottom few lines were some good advice...thanks, I'll look into it.

                  --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

                  > I would suggest you not entirely rely on groups like this or anecdotal information, but instead go to somewhere like Amazon.com and buy everything you can find when you do a search for “strawbale” (not hay). There are very good books, one of the best is by Bruce King, et al, which will answer many of your questions. But you should buy more than one book. You should also consider taking a workshop or two such as those given at www.caneloproject.com. You MUST do a great deal of homework before beginning. This is a very good group, but not for your broader needs; it’s great for specific information on specific issues. There are tons of these issues you’ll run into, but fire ants (I used to live in Ft. Worth, so I know them) and scorpions are issues that occur outside of using straw. Do your reading, know your codes, and think hard. For the record, you have already raised an issue that others on this list over the years have dealt with: lime over earthen plaster (cob, sort of). It doesn’t always (maybe even usually doesn’t) work very well. Find out why before you begin. The worst thing you can do is enter into this without being completely cognizant of the things you must know before beginning. It’s not always as simple as it sounds.
                  >
                  > Caralee in Utah
                  > www.builtbyhandstrawbale.com

                • waterengineman101
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 14 7:29 PM
                    Okay thanks.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 14 7:37 PM
                      No workshops in my area. No time anyway. sad but true.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 14 7:39 PM
                        Ya !!.... I might do some pictures.

                        --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel Slick" wrote:

                        > Best of luck to you in your project. I agree completely that you should read every book available to you about straw bale building, and after that, get familiar with your local building code regarding the same. If your county does not have a code for straw bale, pima county in Tucson AZ has a pretty good one. In this case, it's not all about the Govt. Gettingall up in your face being bossy...it is informative about how to make straw bale structures that last and are safe.
                        > There definitely are things beyond good said about straw bale. To me the two biggest are
                        > 1. Straw bale doesn't usually end up being any cheaper than conventional building materials
                        > ( though the benefits far outweigh those conventional ones)
                        > 2. The biggest enemy is moisture. Do it right the first time, because a wet straw bale is no good.
                        >
                        > Good luck again, and please send photos in progress and completed.
                        >

                        > --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "waterengineman101" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi all. I am new to this sight and I have a lot of questions I need answers to concerning building with straw bales. My plan is simple. I will build a big pole barn cover, then make walls with the hay bales. I want to plaster over them inside and out with cob. Then plaster over that with lime plaster. I have seen nothing but good things said about cob and hay bale houses. But that's just it. Nothging ever bad is said. What about termites? What about fire ants? What about scorpions? We live near middle Texas and we have all of that here. Anybody ever have some problems with any of these issues? inquiring minds want to know. Well hope to hear back from someone. I hope that being a member here becomes a fufilling and rewarding experiance. Thank you for your time.
                        > >
                        > > w.

                      • waterengineman101
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 14 7:41 PM
                          Its lime over cob....not cob over lime. But I heard you should add a binder to the lime mix....and a shot of cement.

                          --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "gabe_stryker" wrote:

                          > I am a novice, but did participate in a straw bale workshop with Andrew Morrison. I distinctly remember him saying not to mix media. You may want to look further into whether cob covered with lime plaster will work well. There is a risk of the lime plaster separating from the cob and falling away in large chunks.
                          >
                          > Best wishes on your new home! -Gabe
                          >
                          > --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "waterengineman101" wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi all. I am new to this sight and I have a lot of questions I need answers to concerning building with straw bales. My plan is simple. I will build a big pole barn cover, then make walls with the hay bales. I want to plaster over them inside and out with cob. Then plaster over that with lime plaster. I have seen nothing but good things said about cob and hay bale houses. But that's just it. Nothging ever bad is said. What about termites? What about fire ants? What about scorpions? We live near middle Texas and we have all of that here. Anybody ever have some problems with any of these issues? inquiring minds want to know. Well hope to hear back from someone. I hope that being a member here becomes a fufilling and rewarding experiance. Thank you for your time.
                          > >
                          > > w.

                        • Heather Brenner
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 15 2:46 PM
                            Check ebay for books--or even your local library. If I were recommending, I would say to get one of the larger mainstream straw bale books, such as The Straw Bale House, and a book I'm reading right now called Building Green. If you shop around, you can get both for under $30, total.

                            http://www.amazon.com/Building-Green-New-Edition-Alternative/dp/1600595340/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360968232&sr=8-1&keywords=building+green

                            http://www.amazon.com/Straw-House-Goods-Independent-Living/dp/0930031717/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360968288&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Straw+Bale+House

                            More books are wise, of course, but, if you have to keep the costs down, this is a good place to start.
                          • Heather Brenner
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 16 4:26 PM
                              If you can get to it for a tour, there is a straw bale museum in Huntsville, AL (As in a museum that was built of straw bales, way back in the 1930's).
                              http://www.burrittonthemountain.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=50

                            • strawboss
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 16 8:39 PM
                                ...as in a house built of stray that is now a museum... :)
                                it is on Monte Santo Mountain

                                Please note: message attached

                                From: Heather Brenner <heatherngillis@...>
                                To: SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com
                                Subject: [SB-r-us] Re: Hi all! New guy here! 'Need straw bale info please.
                                Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:26:34 -0700

                              • waterengineman101
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 17 2:09 AM
                                  ya......well....uh I don't live nowhere near that place. So it's highly likely I am not going to go see it.

                                  --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "strawboss" <strawboss94@...> wrote:

                                  > ...as in a house built of stray that is now a museum... :)
                                  > it is on Monte Santo Mountain
                                  >

                                  > Please note: message attached
                                  >
                                  > From: Heather Brenner <heatherngillis@...>
                                  > To: SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com
                                  > Subject: [SB-r-us] Re: Hi all! New guy here! 'Need straw bale info please.
                                  > Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:26:34 -0700

                                • Derek Stearns Roff
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 17 1:02 PM
                                    ya......well....uh I don't live nowhere near that place. So it's highly likely I am not going to go see it.

                                    How close do you live to Austin? There is lots of SB building around there.

                                    Derek Roff
                                    derek@...<mailto:derek@...>

                                  • Nancy or David Gray
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 17 11:35 PM
                                      How close to California?  You would need a month just to see the more spectacular offerings in only upstate.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 18 2:33 AM
                                        I thought that people "here" could tell me what I wanted to know.

                                        --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, Nancy or David Gray <ndgray@...> wrote:

                                        > How close to California?  You would need a month just to see the more spectacular offerings in only upstate.

                                      • Derek Stearns Roff
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 18 3:27 PM
                                          I thought that people "here" could tell me what I wanted to know.

                                          Regardless of who is asking about SB building, the people on this list may be able to tell you a fair amount of what you want to know. Depending on what you want to know. Odds are also good that they will tell you some things you don't want to hear. Depending on how willing you are to hear things that differ from your expectations. We agree on a lot of things, especially the broad principles, and disagree on a lot of things, especially the fine details. As a group, we are guaranteed NOT to be able to provide all the information someone needs to build a house well.

                                          In the current case, several communications have suggested useful ways to supplement learning, that present learning opportunities beyond, and superior to, reading brief paragraphs of text, written by scattered authors, from a computer screen. People are taking their time to give you the best advice they can, on how to be more successful, and make fewer dumb mistakes, by opening up the range of learning channels. These suggestions seem like good advice to me, but they don't seem to have excited waterengineman101. Each of us has their own path.

                                          I consider this group to be welcoming and helpful. Also forthright, and honest, within certain parameters. Not everyone puts these traits at the top of their list.

                                          Derek

                                          Derek Roff
                                          derek@...<mailto:derek@...>

                                        • waterengineman101
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 19 3:35 AM
                                            "As a group, we are guaranteed NOT to be able to provide all the information someone needs to build a house well"..I think you are looking at it from the negative side.

                                            And sorry there Derrick ol buddy. I had no intentions of "putting water" on yours or anybody elses corn flakes when I asked questions.

                                            I am continueing my quest.

                                            --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, Derek Stearns Roff <derek@...> wrote:

                                            > I thought that people "here" could tell me what I wanted to know.
                                            >
                                            > Regardless of who is asking about SB building, the people on this list may be able to tell you a fair amount of what you want to know. Depending on what you want to know. Odds are also good that they will tell you some things you don't want to hear. Depending on how willing you are to hear things that differ from your expectations. We agree on a lot of things, especially the broad principles, and disagree on a lot of things, especially the fine details. As a group, we are guaranteed NOT to be able to provide all the information someone needs to build a house well.
                                            >
                                            > In the current case, several communications have suggested useful ways to supplement learning, that present learning opportunities beyond, and superior to, reading brief paragraphs of text, written by scattered authors, from a computer screen. People are taking their time to give you the best advice they can, on how to be more successful, and make fewer dumb mistakes, by opening up the range of learning channels. These suggestions seem like good advice to me, but they don't seem to have excited waterengineman101. Each of us has their own path.
                                            >
                                            > I consider this group to be welcoming and helpful. Also forthright, and honest, within certain parameters. Not everyone puts these traits at the top of their list.
                                            >
                                            > Derek
                                            >
                                            > Derek Roff
                                            > derek@...<mailto:derek@...>

                                          • michael hollihn
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 19 8:57 AM
                                              sounds like you're ready to take the next step shane
                                              do you have a design on paper?
                                              can you share any visual design with the group?
                                              since this is an outbuilding and not a home you can take a few liberties
                                              and make a few more mistakes
                                              as long as they are minor ones all the better
                                              the structure is up to you to build it to or beyond code
                                              where the bales meet the earth and the structure is where design on paper
                                              helps achieve success here
                                              this will also give you your next round of questions if any
                                              as long as your "hat" and "shoes" are done keeping moisture in mind
                                              you can leave the bales unrenderred for many moons before you undertake
                                              those lessons
                                              regarding insects, this might change the above sentence, sounds like there
                                              was a book mentioned that could help you

                                              michael hollihn
                                              british columbia
                                              www.pranatimberframes.com
                                              www.michaelhollihn.wordpress.com
                                              building food and shelter security in the Kettle River watershed
                                              "Activism is the rent i pay for living on this planet" AWalker
                                              'Be the change that you want to see' ghandi
                                              breath is bridge between mind body spirit
                                              insert silence into the daily run of mind
                                              meditate on words of loving kindness
                                              existence precedes essence
                                              you are not your thoughts
                                              you are all relations