re: wear and tear on earth plasters

  • pennbo@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hi, we started out with lime plaster over earth plaster- and it delaminated on two walls. We removed it and went with straight lime. We have one wall where it didn't delam because the lime layer was much thinner. That wall gets the full force of wind- up to 80mph. It looks as you describe and we also figure it's the wind abrasion. We do not have 30 inch overhangs and we get considerably more moisture than you (snow too). However we have done several moisture tests, especially around windows, and the bales are DRY DRY DRY. So you should perhaps not worry while you figure out a solution! :-)

      One idea we got from this list and we considered it carefully. You might find it workable for you as well. Have you considered Rain Cladding? Are you experiencing the wearing on ALL sides or just the prevailing wind side? If it's one or two sides hanging some rain cladding might do the trick for you. Our problem wall is ONE wall facing the wind- we solved most of the problem by stacking our firewood along that side- thus having a very thick 'rain cladding' with no construction required! :-) (however our long term solution? we will be removing all the plaster on that wall eventually and replacing with lime plaster. The other walls are wearing beautifully and we are happy with the results. Just have to talk ourselves INTO the project first!)

      Good luck!
      Chris PB