Re: [SB-r-us] Need Advice on green/sustainable repair and modeling

  • Nancy or David Gray
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012
      Karen, so sorry to hear about your health issue.  I can't help you with your questions, but I can commend you on sticking to your guns despite disappointment.  I hope you are successful in finding answers and eventually enjoying a straw bale structure of some sorts.
      David G.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2012
        in message #16121, Karen wrote

        > Does anyone here know of a yahoo-group or other source that focuses on
        > and provides information
        > for making green/sustainable choices for remodeling and repairing an
        > existing house?

        This is the first time I've looked in on these archives in awhile and
        pursed my lips upon reading of Karen's recent health issues.

        I think that the "Greenbuilding" list that shares a common parentage (ie
        CREST -- Center for Renewable Energy and Sustainable Technology) with the
        original strawbale list from which this SB-r-Us was born might be a useful
        list for your purposes.

        Like most other email listserves, it's pretty quiet these days (not like
        the Olde Days when there'd be more messages in one day on this list than
        there are in a month or more in recent years) so I suspect the
        message-starved membership would be eager to jump in on any questions you
        may have.

        Me ? I don't have a problem with you posting any queries that you might
        have to this list, even if it doesn't have the word "straw" or "mud"
        anywhere in it. And if anyone gives you a hard time about it, let me know
        and I'll send the SB-r-Us Tough Guys (that would be Babs Roemer and the
        Alberquirky Derelict) out to deal wid 'em.

        --
        === * ===
        Rob Tom AOD257

        < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
        (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")
      • Wendy McLean
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2012
          > Does anyone here know of a yahoo-group or other source that focuses
          > on and provides information for making green/sustainable choices for
          > remodeling and repairing an existing house?

          Hi Karen

          I am sorry to hear about your health challenges...
          This is a great website for all sorts of green build info, with much
          of it accessible for free http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/

          Another guideline you could refer to would be the living building
          challenge (LBC) - you dont need to be building to their standard but
          their 'red list' of banned materials for instance could be a useful
          reference: https://ilbi.org/lbc/standard (the LBC accepts PEX for
          instance)

          depending on where you live, an excellent way to start with an older
          home if the previous owners have not had an assessment, is to to hire
          an Energy Advisor and have a blower door test and thorough assessment
          of the house done.

          Good luck

          Wendy McLean

          On 7-Nov-12, at 11:18 AM, kyounge1956 wrote:

          > Karen

        • kyounge1956
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2012
            It took me a while but I found the Red List on the LBC website. I also noticed on the back of the brochure that the Institute is right here in Seattle. I doubt it would be possible for me to meet the full standard, but it looks like LBC should be a source of just the kind of information I am looking for. I'll check out greenbuildingadvisor later on.
            Thanks!
            Karen