Re: [SB-r-us] ceiling options

  • John Glassford
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
      G ' day Nick

      Cannot help you from down under however we have two great products here
      that would do the trick see:

      Solomit<http://www.solomit.com.au/images/stories/pdf/Strawboard%20Brochure.pdf>
      and

      Dura Panels <http://www.ortech.com.au/durra-panels/durra-panel>

      Work out real cost effective and made from straw.

      Kind regards
      The Straw Wolf
      Huff 'n' Puff Constructions
      http://www.glassford.com.au
      61 2 6927 6027
      In Australia (02) 6927 6027

      Mountains of the Moon Climb 2011
      http://www.mountainsofthemoon.org

    • N Leone
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
        Howdy all,

        I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the best ways (from a natural building perspective) to finish a wood-framed ceiling. The ceiling is horizontal (not angled) and whatever we do up there will need to be part of the air barrier. It will also need to support somewhere around 18 inches of cellulose insulation. (Not much in the way of weight, but the first 6 inches will be "wet-blown" as another layer in the air barrier. So the ability to handle that construction moisture needs to be factored in.) The walls will be finished with earthen plaster. We had initially considered earthen plaster on wood lath for the ceiling as well. I've done that before and - while it worked - it was Not Particularly Fun. (Lots of experimentation and very slow-going work...) Some have suggested that we hang drywall and apply a finish coat of clay/sand plaster directly to it. Again, done a little bit of that in the past that seems to have held up, but the searching of the archives that I did this evening gave me the impression that maybe we were just lucky... Unfortunately, sustainably harvested wood isn't particularly easy to come by around here (and prohibitively expensive when you do find it...) so that's not a particularly feasible option either.

        Anyway, any words of wisdom on any of these methods or any suggestions for others would be greatly appreciated. We're in NE Ohio, USA, so the climate is hot and moderately humid in the summer and cold and dry in the winter, if that helps.

        Over my head...
        Nick

      • N Leone
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2012
          Thanks John,

          That Solomit strawboard sure is pretty stuff... Durra has (or perhaps had?) some presence in the US, but the phone numbers on their website have been disconnected. :-( Sigh.

          Looks like I'm going to have to get creative...

          Thanks,