re: steel clad barn and straw bales

  • RT
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2011
      On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 13:00:01 -0400, <gsbn-request@...>
      wrote:

      > Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 09:11:44 +0100
      > From: "Chug" <chug@...>
      > Subject: [GSBN] steel clad barn and straw bales

      > Greetings baleheads,

      > I've been asked if straw bales can be retrofitted to the inside of a
      > steelclad barn and whether there would be any problems with condensation
      > formingon the steel and migrating into the bales, anyone got any
      > experience toshare?

      > bale on
      > Chug
      > chug@...
      > http://www.strawbale-building.co.uk

      Chug;

      I'd say that there'd be no problem whatsoever if:

      1. The steel cladding is removed (temporarily) and stacked with lath
      strips between the sheets so that there is no contact between the sheets
      and any moisture can drain away (otherwise, trapped moisture can result in
      "white rust" and subsequent premature corrosion of the (presumably)
      galvanised steel

      2. The bales stacked and encapsulated in plaster to provide the straw with
      an air/fire/rodent/insect barrier

      3. The steel cladding panels re-installed.

      This configuration would provide the plastered straw bale wall with a
      ventilated rainscreen cladding, the drainage plane being the face of the
      outside plaster.

      The ventilation air space would be provided by the thickness of the girts
      (to which the steel is fastened) and the corrugations of the pre-formed
      steel panels.

      Since the plaster would never be exposed to rain-wetting, there's no
      reason that it could not be an earthen plaster.

      --
      === * ===
      Rob Tom
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2011
        Sometimes the steel cladding is also performing as a shear panel or sway bracing.
        It may be wise to install some temporary bracing before removing the cladding.