Sealing floors with Linseed -- sf/gallon ?

  • hsbohra
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
      Hello All,

      I want to use raw linseed oil to seal my rammed earth floor and walls in Kathmandu, Nepal. For the floor I have seen estimates between 10 and 40 square feet per US gallon (or about 1 to 4 sq meters per liter)

      How much have you used on your projects?

      Thanks.

      Hemendra
    • Bill Steen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
        Hemendra,
        In about a week I can give you some very definite numbers. We're sealing a 400 sf floor next week, done yesterday.
        But where are you getting raw linseed oil in Nepal?
        Have you thought about ghee for the floor as used in much of India?

        Bill Steen
        bill@...
        www.caneloproject.com
        www.caneloproject.blogspot.com
        HC1 Box 324
        Elgin, AZ85611

        On Jun 5, 2011, at 1:37 AM, hsbohra wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I want to use raw linseed oil to seal my rammed earth floor and walls in Kathmandu, Nepal. For the floor I have seen estimates between 10 and 40 square feet per US gallon (or about 1 to 4 sq meters per liter)
        >
        > How much have you used on your projects?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Hemendra

      • Hemendra Bohra
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
          Bill,

          I am getting the raw linseed oil from an oil mill operator in the lowlands
          where linseed is grown here in Nepal. He is going to collect the seeds from
          the local farmers and then extract the oil. Ghee is twice as expensive as
          linseed oil!

          Hemendra

          On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Bill Steen <bill@...> wrote:

          > Hemendra,
          > In about a week I can give you some very definite numbers. We're sealing a
          > 400 sf floor next week, done yesterday.
          > But where are you getting raw linseed oil in Nepal?
          > Have you thought about ghee for the floor as used in much of India?
          >
          > Bill Steen
          > bill@...
          > www.caneloproject.com
          > www.caneloproject.blogspot.com
          > HC1 Box 324
          > Elgin, AZ85611
          >

          > On Jun 5, 2011, at 1:37 AM, hsbohra wrote:
          >
          > > Hello All,
          > >
          > > I want to use raw linseed oil to seal my rammed earth floor and walls in
          > Kathmandu, Nepal. For the floor I have seen estimates between 10 and 40
          > square feet per US gallon (or about 1 to 4 sq meters per liter)
          > >
          > > How much have you used on your projects?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Hemendra

        • Bill Steen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011