Enviromentalists are the cause of Gulf oil spill

  • RT
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 4, 2010
      Just in case you didn't already know, this bit of wisdom from Ms. Palin:

      http://alturl.com/e59f

      --
      === * ===
      Rob Tom
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 4, 2010
        Yay for Sarah!

        On Jun 4, 2010, at 12:57 PM, RT wrote:

        > Just in case you didn't already know, this bit of wisdom from Ms. Palin:
        >
        > http://alturl.com/e59f
        >
        > --
        > === * ===
        > Rob Tom
        > Kanata, Ontario, Canada
        > < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
        > (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Indi & Ross
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 4, 2010
          How on earth did she ever get voted in?

          Indi (a confused kiwi)

          On 6/4/10, Eve Clarke <eclarke@...> wrote:
          > Yay for Sarah!
          >
          > On Jun 4, 2010, at 12:57 PM, RT wrote:
          >
          >> Just in case you didn't already know, this bit of wisdom from Ms. Palin:
          >>
          >> http://alturl.com/e59f
          >>
          >> --
          >> === * ===
          >> Rob Tom
          >> Kanata, Ontario, Canada
          >> < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
          >> (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")
          >> http://mail.yahoo.com

          "It turns out that common knowledge is not that common!"
        • Toby Weymiller

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 4, 2010
              --- On Fri, 6/4/10, RT <archilogic@...> wrote:

              > Just in case you didn't already know,
              > this bit of wisdom from Ms. Palin:
              >
              > http://alturl.com/e59f<

              Thanks, RT... I think...

              A breathtaking revelation.......or maybe I'm having apoplexy...

              Cheers,

              Chris Green.
            • Peter/Pam Martin
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 4, 2010
                Hi Rob Tom,

                At 12:57 PM 6/4/2010, you wrote:
                >Just in case you didn't already know, this bit of wisdom from Ms. Palin:

                <snip>

                On The Current, May 28/10, John Hofmeister, former President of Shell
                Oil, made the same point in Pt. 2 (starting at 4:25 minutes), Hate
                for Oil Companies ( http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/2010/05/may-28-2010.html ).

                Apparently Goldman Sachs sold $250 million of BP stock in the first
                quarter of 2010 (
                http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0602/month-oil-spill-goldman-sachs-sold-250-million-bp-stock/
                ). Guess that was the environmentalist's fault too.

                Peter
              • Eve Clarke
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 6, 2010
                  As usual when things get political, this article picked only what proved what they wanted to say. Read the WHOLE article on her facebook page.
                  Eve
                  On Jun 4, 2010, at 2:31 PM, Indi & Ross wrote:

                  > How on earth did she ever get voted in?
                  >
                  > Indi (a confused kiwi)
                  >
                  > On 6/4/10, Eve Clarke <eclarke@...> wrote:
                  > > Yay for Sarah!
                  > >
                  > > On Jun 4, 2010, at 12:57 PM, RT wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Just in case you didn't already know, this bit of wisdom from Ms. Palin:
                  > >>
                  > >> http://alturl.com/e59f
                  > >>
                  > >> --
                  > >> === * ===
                  > >> Rob Tom
                  > >> Kanata, Ontario, Canada
                  > >> < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
                  > >> (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")
                  > >> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                  > >> http://mail.yahoo.com

                  > --
                  > "It turns out that common knowledge is not that common!"

                • David Neeley
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 6, 2010
                    Before you're so quick to blame Palin, there is a credible point she
                    is making--and some she left out. Of course, there are also good
                    points on the other side of the argument, too--but precious few people
                    will seek a truly common-sense solution in their rush to blame the
                    others.

                    First--it is true that the areas that are by far the most accessible
                    and easiest to drill and monitor are in far shallower water. It is
                    also true that there has been a strong movement among the "not in my
                    back yard" crowd to keep those areas from being exploited.

                    Second--it is also true that we are a very long way from being able to
                    substantially reduce the use of fossil fuels. As much as we'd like to,
                    most folks simply don't acknowledge that fact. Before you drive your
                    car to the next anti-petroleum rally, consider how dependent you are
                    for both coal, oil, and natural gas.

                    Third--the U.S. has fallen well behind in offshore drilling technology
                    simply because we have so limited it. The Norwegians, for instance,
                    are pretty well known for green consciousness and practices--yet they
                    have pioneered many techniques for offshore drilling in the North Sea
                    over the last several decades without incident.

                    Fourth--The regulators seem to have been asleep at the wheel, ignoring
                    their supposed responsibility quite often. Perhaps it has something to
                    do with BP having been one of, if not the, largest contributors to
                    Obama? That would certainly not be the first time such a thing had a
                    connection.

                    It is quite true, apparently, that there were many signs leading up to
                    the blowout that should have been cause for alarm...but a lack of
                    adequate supervision and regulation meant those involved could be
                    excessively lax.

                    At the same time, many areas in which offshore drilling has been
                    consistently safe are still barred from drilling. The newest
                    discoveries of immense reserves tend to all be in deep water--such as
                    the massive fields found in the last two or three years off Brazil,
                    for instance. The simple truth is that these fields will be explored
                    and drilled, but energy costs will continue to rise due to the
                    incredible costs involved as a stimulus.

                    It seems obvious that we should be extremely serious about doing all
                    the many small things that add up to an enormous difference in
                    demand--but even then, a reliance upon fossil fuels will continue for
                    the foreseeable future. To pretend that we can wish it away is
                    foolish. To simply make things harder and more costly without
                    demonstrable benefit will only continue to make consumer prices
                    skyrocket--which of course hits the poor disproportionately hard.

                    Many of the best things that can be done for long-term reduction in
                    demand are not the sexy ones--major increases in insulation
                    requirements in new construction should be a given, for example,
                    although most retrofit programs suggested are poorly designed and
                    administered and are extremely wasteful. Fortunately, if more people
                    become interested in straw bale construction, the insulation part of
                    the equation is easy.

                    David

                    On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 22:57, RT <archilogic@...> wrote:
                    > Just in case you didn't already know, this bit of wisdom from Ms. Palin:
                    >
                    > http://alturl.com/e59f
                  • archilogic
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 6, 2010
                      --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, Stronzo di Nord wrote:

                      > Just in case you didn't already know, this bit of wisdom from Ms. Palin:
                      >
                      > http://alturl.com/e59f

                      Looks that woke y'all up. Eh ?

                      Now, ah'm a-wonderin' if anyone is interested in talking about building ?
                      *
                      Phoney Suthin' accent aside, I don't know anything about oil drilling and especially not off-shore oil drilling (not a lot of either here in Kanata, Ontario, MooseLand) but that didn't prevent me from wondering why the people trying to deal with the "spill" didn't just slip a big 'ol hose (you know, like a flexible garden hose, except wa-a-a--y bigger/more robust) around the damaged pipe and at the other end of the hose, let it spill into a collection receptacle (even something as simple as a humongous liquid manure pit).

                      And then one would think that it'd have been a simple matter to engage as many pumping devices as necessary to pump the oil from the "pit" to wherever it is that crude oil goes to be refined instead of letting it spill into the Gulf waters and wreak havoc.

                      But of course, as is usually the case, when one doesn't know anything about the subject at hand, it's easy to make "suggestions".

                      --
                      === * ===
                      Rob Tom
                      Kanata, Ontario, Canada
                      < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
                      (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")
                    • kyounge1956
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 6, 2010
                        She didn't. The Obama/Biden ticket won the election. Unfortunately I don't think there is anyone from Alaska on the list to give you the inside story on the gubernatorial election.

                        Greetings to you Kiwis from the Evergreen State. I'd like to visit NZ some day. I think you are in more or less the same climatic zone of the southern hemisphere as I am of the northern hemisphere here in Washington.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 6, 2010
                          I bet there have been a lot of times that Obama wishes he had her instead of the "joker" he does have.
                          Eve

                          On Jun 6, 2010, at 2:58 PM, kyounge1956 wrote:

                          > She didn't. The Obama/Biden ticket won the election. Unfortunately I don't think there is anyone from Alaska on the list to give you the inside story on the gubernatorial election.
                          >
                          > Greetings to you Kiwis from the Evergreen State. I'd like to visit NZ some day. I think you are in more or less the same climatic zone of the southern hemisphere as I am of the northern hemisphere here in Washington.
                          >
                          > --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "Indi & Ross" <indiandross@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > How on earth did she ever get voted in?
                          > >
                          > > Indi (a confused kiwi)
                          > >
                          > > On 6/4/10, Eve Clarke <eclarke@...> wrote:
                          > > > Yay for Sarah!

                        • Indi & Ross
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 6, 2010
                            Well I'm actually a kiwi living in Alberta. Washington is very
                            similar to NZ in every way, except there is no really big chain stores
                            in NZ.

                            Indi (a Kiwinadian for the last 4 years)

                            On 6/6/10, kyounge1956 <karenyounge@...> wrote:
                            > She didn't. The Obama/Biden ticket won the election. Unfortunately I don't
                            > think there is anyone from Alaska on the list to give you the inside story
                            > on the gubernatorial election.
                            >
                            > Greetings to you Kiwis from the Evergreen State. I'd like to visit NZ some
                            > day. I think you are in more or less the same climatic zone of the southern
                            > hemisphere as I am of the northern hemisphere here in Washington.
                            >

                            > --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "Indi & Ross" <indiandross@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> How on earth did she ever get voted in?
                            >>
                            >> Indi (a confused kiwi)
                            >>
                            >> On 6/4/10, Eve Clarke <eclarke@...> wrote:
                            >> > Yay for Sarah!

                            "It turns out that common knowledge is not that common!"
                          • yeti273
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 20, 2010
                              Yup, she's Comedy Gold for sure. Just when you think she couldn't possibly be any more stupid...
                              Whooops! here's Sarah!
                              --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, Eve Clarke <eclarke@...> wrote:

                              > Yay for Sarah!
                              >
                              > On Jun 4, 2010, at 12:57 PM, RT wrote:
                              >
                              > > Just in case you didn't already know, this bit of wisdom from Ms. Palin:
                              > >
                              > > http://alturl.com/e59f
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > === * ===
                              > > Rob Tom
                              > > Kanata, Ontario, Canada
                              > > < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
                              > > (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")
                              > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • Eve Clarke
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 20, 2010
                                Can we just keep this site for straw bale and NOT political opinions?

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                On Jun 20, 2010, at 8:32 AM, "yeti273" <codini2001@...> wrote:

                                > Yup, she's Comedy Gold for sure. Just when you think she couldn't
                                > possibly be any more stupid...
                                > Whooops! here's Sarah!
                                > --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, Eve Clarke <eclarke@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Yay for Sarah!
                                > >
                                > > On Jun 4, 2010, at 12:57 PM, RT wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > Just in case you didn't already know, this bit of wisdom from
                                > Ms. Palin:
                                > > >
                                > > > http://alturl.com/e59f
                                > > >
                                > > > --
                                > > > === * ===
                                > > > Rob Tom
                                > > > Kanata, Ontario, Canada
                                > > > < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
                                > > > (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")
                                > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                              • Toby Weymiller
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 27 6:49 PM
                                  Grettings SB Fans,

                                  A friend of mine in London sent me this article today.  It show's a pre-fab SB home that is going through the ringer of tests. I thought you all might find it interesting.

                                  Also, Square One, our SB house in Hokkaido, Japan, has officially received it's final coat of plaster on the outside and is ready for whatever Mother Nature wants to throw at us.  Noda-san, who visited Bill & Athena last December with Kyle, tore off most of the first two layers we put up last summer and re-applied a stronger base before adding a tosa-shikkui (lime plaster) that has been used for centuries down in Koichi Prefecture.  Koichi Prefecture is on the opposite end of Japan from Square One and it's climate is warm, humid and they receive many typhoons.  Many structures that were built with tosa-shikkui 400+ years ago, are still standing and in great condition today.  Square One is the first house to use tosa-shikkui in Hokkaido and we received some local press for this. You can see a little bit of how this finish plaster is applied at Kyle's blog post here.   Anyway, I just thought I'd send you all an update from Square One where life
                                  is indeed very good (and much cooler inside than outside!!). ;)

                                  Peace & Straw,

                                  Toby, Maiko, Bomber & Jack

                                  Toby Weymiller
                                  clubbongo@... or toby@...
                                  http://maikotobybomber.blogspot.com

                                  “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou

                                  "The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. There is no enlightenment outside of daily life." - Thich Nhat Hanh

                                  "Be the change that you want to see in the world." - Mohandas Ghandi

                                • Toby Weymiller
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 27 6:54 PM
                                    Wow. That's annoying. None of my embedded links came through on that email.  Oh well, here are a few of the links I tried to send you:

                                    1) The article from London: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/jul/13/straw-houses-balehaus-bre
                                    2) Noda-san & Kyle at Bill's in December: http://caneloproject.blogspot.com/2010/01/december-guests-from-japan-to-canelo.html
                                    3) Kyle's blog post of tosa-shikkui being added to Square One: http://holzhueter.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-post.html

[...]

                                  • Nancy or David Gray
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 27 10:36 PM
                                      Thanks for the links and photos.  Beautiful, and I get the feeling you have found the solution you were looking for.  How can such a globally connected project not succeed?  David Gray

                                      From: Toby Weymiller <clubbongo@...>

                                      To: SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 28 9:56 AM
                                        Question, why the vertical bamboo on Bill's small sample wall? Is it just for
                                        the sample's stability, or is this part of their designs for all SB walls? Just
                                        asking b/c the people we took a course from didn't add that in. There were
                                        stakes driven through the bales as we built the wall up, then the box frame on
                                        top for compression and so on, but no vertical supports on the outside of the
                                        bales.
                                         Darcy Goodrich
                                        www.purecountry.ca
                                      • Nancy or David Gray
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 28 10:42 AM
                                          The vertical supports make a better sandwich and stiffen the wall better than internal pinning.
                                          Satisfies the needs of earthquake country also.  Pretty commonly used in California now.  Best, David Gray