Re: [SB-r-us] A Tall SB House

  • Chris Green
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2010
      It will be even more interesting once the moose realize the gesture must be meant for them, since there doesn t seem to be any other neighbours close enough to see it. I hope the charging moose are caught on video. It would be like earthquake testing, but without the expense. ( and this is evidence at least two people up here aren t moosehuggers if they re being rude to moose...) cheers, chris green.

      On Thu Apr 29th, 2010 10:43 PM EDT Nancy or David Gray wrote:

      >It must be interesting to stay in a house that basically looks like a raised middle finger.  D.G.

    • Jeff Ruppert
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2010
        Did anyone notice that this tall house also has many rooms without any
        plaster on the walls?

        http://www.solisterra.com/anglais/Welcome.html

        We built a house taller than this, but it is built on a hillside with
        four levels in Nederland, Colorado back in 1999.

        Jeff
      • Nancy or David Gray
        Message 3 of 10 , May 3, 2010
          Yes, up in the tower it does appear unfinished.   I guess you could call them giant truth windows.  Hopefully they just weren't finished yet.  Downstairs the walls look to have clay plaster, except for an interior wall finished with wood.  It must have  been fun stacking bales in that tower and applying the render.  Best, David Gray

          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2010
            In the original Nederland (the Netherlands) René Dalmeijer built a 5
            storey SB house in IJburg (Amsterdam) - for a bit of info see http://www.strobouw.nl/houses/sbnl.html
            and scroll down to "IJburg II"

            =========
            On 4 mai 10, at 10:20, SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            We built a house taller than this, but it is built on a hillside with
            four levels in Nederland, Colorado back in 1999.

            Jeff

          • Derek Roff
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4, 2010
              I didn't notice, Jeff, since I didn't look through all the pictures.
              Now that you have pointed it out, I think it is a major safety concern.
              I think I will send an email, and see if I get a response.

              Derelict

              --On Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:20 AM +0000 Jeff Rupert wrote:

              Did anyone notice that this tall house also has many rooms without any
              plaster on the walls?

              http://www.solisterra.com/anglais/Welcome.html

              Derek Roff
              Language Learning Center
              Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
              University of New Mexico
              Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
              505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
              Internet: derek@...
            • Chris Green
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2010
                --- On Mon, 5/3/10, Jeff Ruppert <jeff@...> wrote:

                  >Did anyone notice that this tall house also has many rooms without any
                plaster on the walls? <

                I hadn't noticed. Maybe those parts are a straw-clay mix of some type? Or maybe they're still frozen... If you can have 'truth windows', the next step up is truth walls and ceilings.. :-)

                Cheers,

                Chri sGreen.

              • Chris Green
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4, 2010
                  --- On Mon, 5/3/10, Nancy or David Gray <ndgray@...> wrote:

                  >It must have  been fun stacking bales in that tower and applying the render.  Best, David Gray<

                  I don't think the term "fun" applies to placing bales at -30 F... which they appearantly did.

                  Cheers,

                  Chris Green.
                • Derek Roff
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 4, 2010
                    I wrote the email address that is on the web page, and got a nice
                    response from the architect, Dominique. She said, in part,

                    "The walls are now completely plastered inside. Yes the exterior is a
                    lime-cement mix. We had to post the Solisterra website to get bookings
                    for the summer, so we furnished and photographed the rooms before they
                    were completed. We are curently getting Solisterra house ready for the
                    high season and working on landscaping. Once it is all done, we will
                    re-photograph the house and replace the images taken during
                    construction ,on our website.

                    We are currently planning the second solisterra vacation rental on the
                    350 acre domaine."

                    I wonder if the design will be identical, or something new.